Need new tires - Suggestions?

This post is 5544 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm looking for some new tires for my XT550 (3.00x21 FR, 4.60x18 RR). I don't plan on doing much on road riding, so I'm considering some dirt only tires for max dirt traction. Are there dual purpose tires that are as agressive as dirt tires? I've been looking around online, but the pictures make it kind of difficult to tell how agressive the dual sport tires really are.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm looking for some new tires for my XT550 (3.00x21 FR, 4.60x18 RR). I don't plan on doing much on road riding, so I'm considering some dirt only tires for max dirt traction. Are there dual purpose tires that are as agressive as dirt tires? I've been looking around online, but the pictures make it kind of difficult to tell how agressive the dual sport tires really are.

When i did some trail riding on the DT i had 2 sets of wheels one with full noblies the other with general dual purpose tyres on.

I have been off roading for years with 4X4's and if there is one thing about off road tyres how it looks has NOTHING to do with the way it works. The tyres work in dirt different ways, some suite having the nuts span out of them to keep them clean others will self clean

You might prefer summer lanes, if thats the case you want a strong hard tyre that will resist cutting with a slight pattern to grip in the dry, mud wants open blocks and sand wants even more extreem spacing and there are a million conditions inbetween.

I have bridgestone trail wings on my DT and they are great all round but the ride survey showed them as cr@p.

The thing is full on dirt tyres are truly horrible on tarmac, i mean really awful. They slide and squirm and as for in the wet :blink: They also wear out faster than ice in a volcano.

The thing is full on dirt tyres are truly horrible on tarmac, i mean really awful. They slide and squirm and as for in the wet :blink: They also wear out faster than ice in a volcano.

I've experienced dirt only tires on the pavement - they are horrible, dangerous even! I don't plan on doing much riding on the street, hardly any really. So I'm not too concerned about street perfomance. However, I think that I'd like the option of being able to run on the strret is I chose to do so. That's where I come back to a DOT tire...

I've experienced dirt only tires on the pavement - they are horrible, dangerous even! I don't plan on doing much riding on the street, hardly any really. So I'm not too concerned about street perfomance. However, I think that I'd like the option of being able to run on the strret is I chose to do so. That's where I come back to a DOT tire...

I can't really help there like i say the trail wings i have on got slated in a rider survey here, but i find them ok. Last time i went looking Pirelli Scorpions were apparently a pretty good all rounder on the bigger stuff. Better in either dicipline than you would expect, i mean full gloopy mud bogging would stumble them but i recon they would be ok on regular trails, look ok too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online