yamaha yb100 electrical problems

rocky dennis
This post is 5590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, I'm brand new on here. Just wondering if I can get some help from the pros. I have a 1978 Yamaha yb100. It appears almost brand new(1000 orig kms). It runs perfect. The only problem I have is electrical. My signals will not flash. when I kickstart the bike, the headlight comes on. when I switch on my turn signal, the headlight dims quite a bit. also the signals take a little while to come on, and when they do, they wont flash. also, the(running) tail light seems to be brighter than the brake light when the pedal is pressed on. I've tried charging the battery, buying a new flasher relay, checking the bulbs, and everyhting seems exactly as it should be. ANY IDEAS?? I would like to get this safetied for my fiancee this summer. Thanks in advance!

PS-I should add that the battery reads just under 6 volts when tested, and the "charged" light comes on, rather than "charging" on my charger.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello everyone, I'm brand new on here. Just wondering if I can get some help from the pros. I have a 1978 Yamaha yb100. It appears almost brand new(1000 orig kms). It runs perfect. The only problem I have is electrical. My signals will not flash. when I kickstart the bike, the headlight comes on. when I switch on my turn signal, the headlight dims quite a bit. also the signals take a little while to come on, and when they do, they wont flash. also, the(running) tail light seems to be brighter than the brake light when the pedal is pressed on. I've tried charging the battery, buying a new flasher relay, checking the bulbs, and everyhting seems exactly as it should be. ANY IDEAS?? I would like to get this safetied for my fiancee this summer. Thanks in advance!

PS-I should add that the battery reads just under 6 volts when tested, and the "charged" light comes on, rather than "charging" on my charger.

Sounds like you need a new battery!

Was the battery new - or what you got with the bike?

YB's eat the little 6v batteries - I go through 1 a year, and if they are not in tip-top condition you get the symptoms you are referring to.

With these little 6v bikes the main electrical power is provided by the generator not the battery - and the headlights will only really work when the bike is running. The battery is there really as a backup for when then bike revs slows.

The other thing you need to check for is good earths - the indicators in particular earth back through the frame by contact with it, rather than through an earth wire, so you need to make sure these are good. Other than that the relays can be a bit iffy - which you have changed, and sometimes the rectifier plays up - but not ususally.

Work through the problem bit by bit - make sure the battery is good and fully charged - check for good earth connections etc.

Let us know how you get on.

:D

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try a new battery. The one I have installed now is fairly new, but if you say you go through one a year, it very well could be the culprit. (It's been sitting all winter).I'll let you know what happens in a few days. Tonight , I'll check the grounds.Can't thank you enough!

I had the batttery charging all night. When I got home from work today, I got the signals to blink ONCE! So now I have some hope.I ordered a new one on ebay today. Should be good to go. much appreciated.

Hi Rocky, I have a YB100 as well, and the damned thing started giving me electrical problems. I have a thread in the workshop forum. A new battery was recomended to me as well, and your problem sounds very similar to mine. I did however have a problem with the regulator ,as it was dead the battery was not charging at all. Take your regulator out and test it, no current in either direction means it is finished.

Regards

Russ

Hi Rocky, I have a YB100 as well, and the damned thing started giving me electrical problems. I have a thread in the workshop forum. A new battery was recomended to me as well, and your problem sounds very similar to mine. I did however have a problem with the regulator ,as it was dead the battery was not charging at all. Take your regulator out and test it, no current in either direction means it is finished.

Regards

Russ

I think you mean Rectifier... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the exact same bike. The guy who used to own it told me that because the batteries on them are so small, the engine has to be higher than an idle for the signals to work. I've noticed that my speedometer lights up brighter the faster I go as well. I don't think it's so much a problem with the bike as a characteristic of the design.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online