Spray panels

simondlh
This post is 5622 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I'm in the process of re-sprayign my panels, I wet sanded them first with 400 grit then used a flexible plastic primer, about 4 coats then started with th gloss black paint, after 5 layers it still doesn't look glossy and looks bitty...How do I get it to look like glass?

Have I done soemthing wrong?

Edited by simondlh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wet sand the black you have done until smooth, then spray with clear laquer use the fuel resistant type. then leave that to cure for a couple of weeks, then T - Cut them using a damp rag and small circular actions for a good result.

try putting some more thinners in with the paint,,

daft question but you are useing gloss paint and not matt ????

Ha i'm using gloss, just using rattle cans. Just bought myself a more expensive make of gloss back acrylic and somw lacquer so will try that tonight and see if it comes up better!

I've done a few DIY spray jobs and only on the last one I've learned that you get a bitty finish if you spray too thinly from to far away. - Which is natural when you are trying to be careful.

- Obviously if you spray to close you get a run...

It seems a fine art even with rattle cans to spray at the right distance to gain a glossy finish when dry.

Try spraying closer with more consistent movements. If you do get a run, just let it dry for a day then sand it back gently with some very light 'in between coat' wet and dry and go over it again.

I'm really pleased with my last attempt and I'd recommend doing it in daylight - not under a garage bulb as it's harder to spot the areas that you've missed.

Hope this helps.

BTW: Do the same with the Lacquer as otherwise it just ends up giving a frosted finish instead of adding gloss.

I've done a few DIY spray jobs and only on the last one I've learned that you get a bitty finish if you spray too thinly from to far away. - Which is natural when you are trying to be careful.

- Obviously if you spray to close you get a run...

It seems a fine art even with rattle cans to spray at the right distance to gain a glossy finish when dry.

Try spraying closer with more consistent movements. If you do get a run, just let it dry for a day then sand it back gently with some very light 'in between coat' wet and dry and go over it again.

I'm really pleased with my last attempt and I'd recommend doing it in daylight - not under a garage bulb as it's harder to spot the areas that you've missed.

Hope this helps.

BTW: Do the same with the Lacquer as otherwise it just ends up giving a frosted finish instead of adding gloss.

Im respraying panels atm too, was doing it today until it started to rain :(. I just cleaned them down, lightly sanded any rough parts, used plastic primer from halfords, then sprayed using a custom mixed colour i got made up at halfords too, the "fan" spray that the cans use scared the shit out of me at first but im extremely pleased with the result atm. I still need to laquer , will carry on 2moro and post some photos :D

Very strangely that evenenig (before reading your post) I realised that I was holding the can too far away! As soon as I held it closer and for longer it sprayed a thicker, more solid layer and then when I lacquered (again fairly thickly) it produced a beautiful mirror like finish!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online