xvs 125 dragstar cold engine problem (??)

jerc
This post is 5412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi to everyone!

my problem is quite weird...or am i the one who is stupid.

the problem is when i start my bike when it's still cold(let's say it hasn't been running one day).

the bike starts normally. no unwanted sounds when running. the problem is that when i want to shift from neutral to 1st gear it dies(and also does a strange, sudden and strong move forward).

then the bike dies.

when i start it again..if i'm lucky it goes into 1st gear...if not...i'll have to wait a bit longer so it warms up...

is this normal? i mean..i know it's good to warm up before going...but 10 minutes of warming up is a bit long isn't it ;) ?

after i manage to shift into 1st and i start driving there is no problem at all. even if i stop and turn off the bike...when i start it next it works normally...if that "next" isn't the next day <_<

thanks for any answers!

i'll be really grateful for any help

p.s. the bike: dragstar xvs 125 (year 2002)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My first thought is the side stand,

(assuming that you're not just trying to shift into first with the stand still down)

I'd have a look at the bit of metal at the pivot of the stand - the bit that triggers the switch to make sure you don't ride away with the stand down...

if it's a bit loose that could be causing your problem - that makes sense?

I seem to recall someone else on here having the same problem not so long ago - you could trall the achives if you've got time...

hi to everyone!

my problem is quite weird...or am i the one who is stupid.

the problem is when i start my bike when it's still cold(let's say it hasn't been running one day).

the bike starts normally. no unwanted sounds when running. the problem is that when i want to shift from neutral to 1st gear it dies(and also does a strange, sudden and strong move forward).

then the bike dies.

when i start it again..if i'm lucky it goes into 1st gear...if not...i'll have to wait a bit longer so it warms up...

is this normal? i mean..i know it's good to warm up before going...but 10 minutes of warming up is a bit long isn't it ;) ?

after i manage to shift into 1st and i start driving there is no problem at all. even if i stop and turn off the bike...when i start it next it works normally...if that "next" isn't the next day <_<

thanks for any answers!

i'll be really grateful for any help

p.s. the bike: dragstar xvs 125 (year 2002)

Sounds like clutch drag due to your oil being cold, as the motor warms up the oil becomes thinner and you have less drag, try revving the bike a little with the clutch pulled, then let the revs die off again and select your gear.

Sounds like clutch drag due to your oil being cold, as the motor warms up the oil becomes thinner and you have less drag, try revving the bike a little with the clutch pulled, then let the revs die off again and select your gear.

it can also be a case of oil level to high which was the case with mine when i got it it was difficult to select neutral at first i thought it just needed the clutch cable adjusted, but when i checked the oil levels it was over filled drained and got down to the correct level and gear changes and obtaining neutral was not a problem even on the coldest of days having been stood for a few days.

i tried the trick with revving while having clutch pulled and it works! :D

i had choke halfway pulled and no problem at all!

thanks very much :)

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone. I am a newbie to this site so please be patient. I have an xvs 125 and I have the same problem from cold. If I wait until the oil filter starts to get warm I have no problem at all changing up/down or neutral. A few weeks ago i put in a new filter and Yamalube to help and when warm it is now definitely smoother when changing.