Help? - FZR 400RR EXUP 1990 grey import

castiog
This post is 5626 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me please?

I bought an FZR 400RR EXUP which was imported to the UK in 1999 from Japan. It's a grey, but I think this is only due to the clock being in Km/h.

This is my first 'big bike', as I recently passed my test last week. The day I passed I took it out and ran the tank dry (needless to explain why, it was full before I set out :D

It has a two position switch on top of the left side fairing to switch over to a 5 litre reserve. It doesn't work. I called out the RAC because I was in the middle of no where and they brought me some fuel.

For obvious reasons I would like to repair it. I'm pretty good with electronic fault finding, and prefer to do my own maintainence and keen to extend my knowledge. However I can't seem to find a reliable wiring diagram / description of the fuel system on the net. Obviously the reserve circuit is separate from the main fuel circuit and I'm thinking it may be as simple as a blown fuse or relay in the reserve circuit.

However I'm a novice at bike maintainence and reluctant to start disassembling things without a reference or description of the system I'm taking apart.

I know these bikes are popular for track days, so there must be people out there who have stripped one down to the frame and rebuilt it and are intimately familiar with the fuel system. I'd appreciate any advise or details of where I can find a reliable repair manual or description, or advise on how to fix it...I may be barking up the wrong tree and it maybe something totally different causing the problem so I don't want to start fiddling in the dark and messing something up, leaving me unable to take it out as my ass is pretty much glued to the seat the moment.

I did find a partial ebook, although I think it is for an earlier model and I can't find any reference to the reserve circuit.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I will Admit, i am not super familiar with the 400's of the FZR family. My FZ-600 has a pair of wires that are supposed to come out of the bottom-front end of my tank (dosen't function, but i dont really need it). Look There for the connection, given that you have an FZR-400 it is probably ripe in age and this slip-on connector may be corroded. Also if this is a reserve inside the tank, than there is probably a connection to the petcock, you should easily find the wires there and trace them into the rest of the circuit. Having an 1988 FZ i know how difficult the task of finding wiring diagrams can be for older bikes, however i beleive i do actually have a wiring diagram for an FZR-400 or early 600 but im pretty sure it is a 400. I forgot where i got it from but i will try to post a picture. Email me if you want me to send it to you, my email is [email protected]

wiring.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online