1988 FZ600 Questions On Brake Swap!

junker
This post is 5625 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok My first Question, I Feel Needs A Little Background So People Dont Call Me A Tard: When I got My Fz600 It seemed Like Someone Probably Raced It Before, Probably back in the late 80's, Judging from the passenger foot pegs looking like the bike got dropped at a high speed and slid on them for a mile or two...lol they are now sharpened little spike-pegs (replacing them soon). Anyway, there is also other mods, the most notable being the tail fairing, which is definitely not stock FZ-600, or FZR600 (which the side Fairings Are). The Front Wheel Is A HONDA, Given That It IS Stamped Into The Rim... Also A Yoshimura Slip On that is apperently no longer made, I looked. This waqs definitely intended for performance, if not racing. Anyway, I Rode It around my Yard and ended up dropping it on a hill with wet grass, Broke the windscreen and snapped the brake handle. I found a zero gravity windscreen for $75-ish at their website, but when i orders another brake handle, i realized that the front master cylinder IS NOT STOCK!

That is awesome to know, had i not broken the lever. Apparently it is a NISSIN Brake System in the front. I looked Far & wide and cannot find any replacement levers for this specific cylinder! My thinking is; why not just revert back to the stock cylinder, in case i ever drop it again, finding replacement levers will be easy! But Then I got To thinking, a NEW Stock cylinder is around $100-ish from bike bandit, however a newer and more technologically advanced FZR or YZF brake Cylinder is about the same price! I wonder If it would fit my handlebar? the Mounting bracket seems to look the same, but unfortunately there is no exact measurements that i can compare against... I wonder If the FZR or YZF Master Cylinders would match my existing fluid hoses To the Caliper? They must be fairly similar, right? Has ANyone Ever Done This Swap Before? Would I have to get FZR/YZF calipers and maybe even a new wheel to match, or could this be possible to just replace the master cylinder????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you can get a master cylinder from a Genesis FZR (ie; pre-EXUP) then they are the same.

oh, thanks man! so like an 89-90'ish should fit! i thought so... I mean it just mounts onto the clip-on right? so the only limiting factor would be the handlebar size, fluid-line fitting, and the caliper possibly if the fluid lines don't match up right?

If you can get a master cylinder from a Genesis FZR (ie; pre-EXUP) then they are the same.

OH MY GOD! -I took the time to look at all the different schematics and cross reference all the part numbers and found that the 1988 FZ-600 has identical brakes to all FZR-600 Years up to the end of their production in 1999. On Top Of that they also are identical to those used on the FZ-750, The early ('87-'88) "Genesis" FZR-1000's, FZR-400's, the 1986 FJ-1200 and from the trend appearing probably all other years as well.

Talk About Not Wasting Anything In Production! "Make One Brake System For Every Model!" Lol!

Wow, that was a big discovery for me.... The Early Yamaha Sportbikes All Have The Same Master Cylinder,

Part No. 34586-001

Now my next question is: Would one of those master cylinders from the later FZR-1000's or the YZF's give me better braking>? and if so do you think it is possible or rather relatively easy to swap them out?