reliability

gassed
This post is 5515 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guy and gals , need advice from the gang have seen a 2001 dragstar 1100 im interested in buying, it has all the gear on it and looks very tidy. only covered 3,400 miles which is big time low. there is no mention of service history and it is a private seller. what service intervals should it have and at worst what are these bikes known to play up on? your help and guidance would bez appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

TBH, most bikes won't have a full service history. Not many people bother these days unless there's only been one owner from new.

Drag 1100 - Most common issue is with the starter clutch/motor going.

Other than that, they're pretty good. Just need a big more looking after than the 650s.

Generally, they need a service every 6-12,000 miles.

I'd personally give it a full service every year with a professional mechanic that I trust.

How much is the seller asking?

How many previous owners has it had?

Do you have a link to the ad?

How much is the seller asking?

How many previous owners has it had?

Do you have a link to the ad?

price is £3625 doesnt say about owners advertised in auto trader under bikes green and silver thanks for advice mate may pop and have a look in the week all the best :thumb:

if it dosent have any service history dont touch it just incase you get stung bad

thanks for that mate must admit its the low mileage for the year that rings alarms take care

thanks for that mate must admit its the low mileage for the year that rings alarms take care

it is not unusual for some bikes like that to have low mileage ,a lot of folk buy bikes and hardly use them i have a 2001 dragstar and it only had 2000 miles on the clock when i bought it the previous 2 owners were both older guys who bought the bike and only used in in the good weather ! when i looked at the mots one year it had only done 46 miles since the last one, since i have had the bike i have put on 2700 miles so it now has 4700 on the clocks, as far as service history is concerned i have changed the oil twice plugs once done every thing that would be done on service but as the book is not stamped it has no real service history except its first service but as the service interval is 6000ml its not due apart from the fact they say 6000 or every 12 months so ask the guy some questions it could be a good buy at the right price and check mots.

thanks 'old timer' going to see the bike thursday morning , dependable mate coming along,he knows his bikes so will be of great value. he rides an 08 rocket 111. bit too radicle looking for me.engine looks like a metal t chest, anyway i digress. may be bringing bike away with me thursday.

thanks again people for your thoughts take care and have aguddun all :thumb::thumb:

Have a look for the tell-tail signs,

* Peg rubbers (not even sure if these bikes have them!)

* tyres, at that mileage you'd expect them to be the originals, but they'll be a bit cracked and perished in places, so it's possible they've been changed, ask about them.

* Corrosion, if there's lots of it then ask why. Might be an explanation, but again if it's a low mileage bike that's only been out on dry warm days then yuo shouldn't see any.

* Seat, loo for wear, and the bar grips too

* Look in the hard to clean places, under and up so-to-speak

* Look at the odometer , are the digits in line (not sure if this is an issue with these bikes, but really they should be all in-line)

Generally just use your common sense, ask lots and lots of questions (even when you already know the answers), if it look too good to be true, it may well be, but that doesn't make it a bad buy. The big question you are looking to answer is "is this guy on the level?", if so then you can trust the answers, if you do think he is , then you've got to be sure about the bike.

question, always ask the questions you know the answers to - easiest way to see if you're being bull sh77ed.......