MSF Experienced RiderCourse after action report...

plain old dave
This post is 5621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Vintage content: I did it on The Green Machine, my old 78 XS 400.

Thoughts:

Them cones are a LOT harder to ride around than they would initially look like.

Best thing I got out of it: the cornering drills. They should help out with switchbacks, which we have a good number of here in the hills of East Tennessee; the Tail of the Dragon, the Devil's Triangle and 1000s of others.

If you have a choice between a kick only and a kick AND electric start, take the one w/the electric leg. Your right leg (and your fellow students) will thank you.

Cool content: In the "figure 8" drill (those that have taken the course will know what I am talking about), the coaches said my last time through was the best they had EVER seen anybody do it, period. Ultra tight, smooth and textbook perfect were the basic comments. I wonder if the same engineers that did the RDs did the XS400 frame.

Bottom line: If there's a RiderCourse near you, TAKE IT.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

glad you got something out of it.

I had to do similar things for my (then) part 1 off road test!

Indeed, it's the same drill for the CBT here in the UK.

I did a BikeSafe course last week, had an assesment on Sunday in two modules,

first was all about slow speed controll, same stuff as you talk about. We also had an evolution of the U-Turn, where it became an O turn (finishing off where you started) which is a bit of a mind scramble at first. Once you get it though you can do it all day long.

Second module was an open road assesment with a Police Rider - "don't worry about me, I'll keep up" was the line, when I saw the opportunity for a filter, the sort his FJR wouldn't get through (panniers etc) I was tempted :bad-boy:

It's always good to be apraised by your peers, and for those that think they are good already, why not go ahead and prove it ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online