1978 XS400 Replacement Seat Cover

Pistol Pete
This post is 5590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my 78 XS400 this winter and spent some time cleaning it up. Cleaning carbs etc. I'm driving it to work and loving it. What I don't love is my duck tape seat. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement seat cover. My bike looks just like the one in this picture (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_400_1978.php)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

you could do what i did....

my duct tape to seat material ratio reached critical mass the other day so i took the seat off of its hinges.

I cut a pair of jeans' leg off, split it up the middle. then i wrapped it around the seat and used a screw gun to put very short screws into the underside while pulling the denim tight and worked my way front, then back, then each side little by little all around.

I used jeans because They were black, they had a hole in the ass so i couldnt wear em to work, and im a cheap bass stirred.

if you want I could post some before and after pics so you can see what i mean.

On mine, I took the seat off, and carefully peeled the old seat cover off, duct tape and all. Then I sliced it apart to make a pattern to make a new cover out of fresh vinyl from the upholstery fabric store. Only 2 seams to sew and it went back on easily. Of course, this method requires ability to sew, or least finding someone else who can.

Though if I were buying a new one, I'd probably look at JP Whitney.

I know Ebay is an easy answer but....

...have you thought about setting up a saved search on Ebay? You can have it email you when the exact item is posted that you need. It saves you from checking periodicly or missing out on a great deal. I seem to save the most $$ via eBay and have found some real treasures on there for my oldies.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online