FZR 750 to buy or not to buy

Andyjb
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Can anyone help...I've been offered a FZR 750 1988 for about £1500 (the exhaust is not original) and was wondering what they are like as bikes? I'm looking for a modern classic, but there doesn't seem to be many about, and most sites point you towards a gsxr 750 early model.

Can you let me know whether they are particularly reliable, perform well and what I should look out for? :)

Appreciate all your help

andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Extremely rare to find one IME. The 750 didn't become really popular until the YZF750 was launched.

Without knowing the condition and seeing the bike for myself, the only advice I can offer is HAGGLE!

Extremely rare to find one IME. The 750 didn't become really popular until the YZF750 was launched.

Without knowing the condition and seeing the bike for myself, the only advice I can offer is HAGGLE!

Oh come on,

the FZ750 pure sports with its 5 valve head & trick bits was well popular, but we have been here b4 (air cooled FZ600 etc) I sold loads of that bike & I guess from your history (working in the industry at the time the bike was produced) you would know that. the FZ750 was the 'blue print' for the FZR1000 (1988) which then turned into the YZF, so if you dont know about 1988 machines I would guess it is no point in posting stuff about bikes you dont seem to remember.

But the 1988 FZ750 was solid (there is one in my area with about 70k on it and it still runs like the day it was new). It would be a good buy if the machine has not been let go !

Regards Jim

so its for sale in the republic and you are in NI?

I guess its a few quid for it, but if it is tidy, then it made be worth a look if you want a usable modern classic. id be looking for something with a reasonable SH and the valve job done (20,000km). btw Art cans are rubbish, so id haggle on a replacement for that.