XS650 running badly

Jez5241
This post is 5628 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone out there help me? I have an XS650 with XS2 engine. I have replaced piston rings, valve stem oil seals and rebuilt the engine. It has Halco pipes and cone type air filters on it. When I start it it runs on left cyl only. When i rev it it fires on both but backfires on the right cyl and chuffs out smoke from the righ cyl. I have swapped coils, points HT leads and made sure the points gap and ignition timing is spot on, it also has new condensors. I have also replaced the plugs. When I wind the pilot scews out it gets better but not good. The carbs are clean and rubbers are sealed.

HELP!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

screwing out the pilot is richening the mix, so i would say your carbs need cleaning, and not just a squirt of carb cleaner either!!

If you have an ultra sonic bath use that, and compressed air to get at the tiny galleries within the carb.

drewps

screwing out the pilot is richening the mix, so i would say your carbs need cleaning, and not just a squirt of carb cleaner either!!

If you have an ultra sonic bath use that, and compressed air to get at the tiny galleries within the carb.

drewps

Hi Drewps,

I have stripped the carbs, blown them through with 70psi airline and set the float height. The pilot jet has 30 stamped on it, due to the airfilters and exhausts I am thinking that they might need changing to a larger size but the left cyl seems fine. I have also checked the needle height and diaphrams. I'm stumped, maybe the carbs are just worn?

Jez

if you go to the classic section, I have put a sticky for xs400 links.

gas so has also put a very useful link for sorting out xs650 carbs.

drweps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online