defective tyre???

shed hermit
This post is 5633 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks

wondering if anybody has had the same problem as myself or can shed some light on the problem.

the front tyre on my bike has worn away unevenly on the one side, the centre of the tyre is hardly worn, it actually looks the same as a car tyre when the tracking is off. the tyre only has around 1500 miles on it and the back has plenty of life in it. both tyres were replaced at the same time. they are continental contiforce. the bike was stored in the shed all winter and i deflated the tyre pressure to about 20psi and both wheels were of the ground. any ideas and is it worth sending the tyre back to continental to see what they say?

thanks

:angry:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I get this with my front tyre all the time on all of the bikes I've had.

Does the tyre wear on the right hand side of the tyre as you are sitting on the bike, if so it is most likely due to the camber of the roads.

hi folks

wondering if anybody has had the same problem as myself or can shed some light on the problem.

the front tyre on my bike has worn away unevenly on the one side, the centre of the tyre is hardly worn, it actually looks the same as a car tyre when the tracking is off. the tyre only has around 1500 miles on it and the back has plenty of life in it. both tyres were replaced at the same time. they are continental contiforce. the bike was stored in the shed all winter and i deflated the tyre pressure to about 20psi and both wheels were of the ground. any ideas and is it worth sending the tyre back to continental to see what they say?

thanks

Hi,

just a thought If the tyre was not fitted straight (a section of the beed stuck down in the well of the rim) could cause un even tyre wear not unlike a car with tracking problems. I would guess that all the forks are working correctly and are not bent/out of true (another cause) and the mudguard is bracing the forks (dependant on the bike the tyre is fitted to). Personally I would have not reduced the pressure in the tyres, in fact I would have been inclined to increase the pressure while the bike was stored. I would guess if the tyre found its way back to Conti they would produce some evidence in favour of their product & perhaps citing bad maintanence... So I guess make sure the bike is spot on & replace the tyre with a new one and check the tyre wear, the tyre should show signs of wear at a couple of 100 miles, if the bike is correct and you have now 2 tyres worn oddly Conti would perhaps do something

Regards Jim

the bike is straight with no woddles, even at speed. if the tyre wasnt fitted properly it would shudder and bounce. in 23-odd years of biking i have never came across this before. the side that is worn is not worn evenly, personaly my thoughts are that the cords inside the tyre are breaking. the rubber itself also shows signs of cracking on the worn side. i have never heard of a front tyre out-living a rear, the rear has about 3-4mm left in the centre, the front has about the same in the centre. the bike isnt driven hard and the back is slightly squared. :blink:

hi folks

thanks

Geday Mate. The Conti force is now quite an old tyre. It has been replaced with the Conti motion and thus far seems bloody good for the money. Have a look at the date code on the side of the tyre. This tyre may be a little older than you think. The signs you describe indicate a balance problem or the rim and/or tyre running out of true. Either way it sounds like you need to replace it and I doubt that Continental will show munch interest in the problem. I would run a Michelin Pilot Power or Pilot Power 2ct on the front. They provide fantastic grip and still last really well on the front. Around 6000 miles for the PP2ct and 9000 for the standard PP. Having said that, the Contis are a very good rear tyre. Grip wise the Conti motion is very close to the Conti sport attack. Yet to see what kind of mileage you can expect. Just another little thought. Have they fitted the tyre so as it is running in the correct direction of rotation? HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online