FJ 600 starting problem

yodudegetoffme
This post is 5635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

to anyone who might know whats going on,

i have an 1985 FJ 600. not sure what the problem is, i had it running fine about 2 days ago, but now when i try to start it up all i hear is this weird clicking noise coming from the battery or around the battery. the battery is brand new. any help would be appriciated.

-tyler

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Tyler

Make sure all your connections are clean & tight......but it sounds like it could be a starter relay that's gone south on ya. :unsure:

to anyone who might know whats going on,

i have an 1985 FJ 600. not sure what the problem is, i had it running fine about 2 days ago, but now when i try to start it up all i hear is this weird clicking noise coming from the battery or around the battery. the battery is brand new. any help would be appriciated.

-tyler

Hi Tyler,

did you buy an MF type battery ? this could cause a problem (the battery has died !). The clicking you hear will be either a flat battery .. not enuff poke supplied to the starter switch or as documented before the start switch itself gone west.... to test the switch just short across the terminals & the starter should spin, if you do this & all the lights go dim & clicks from the switch suspect the battery. If you are sure that the battery is ok (you have tested it in another application) it may be worth looking at the starter motor itself, by shorting the switch you will test the motor, applying the correct current to the starter motor without the switch will confim that the starter motor is fine & the switch is at fault. At this point is the starter motor does not turn the motor over you have 2 remaining options

1) A fault with the starter motor .. brushes and such like

2) if 1 is ok a seized motor

I would guess the answer will lie with the preamble or the starter motor and not the engine itself.... unless the motor was well knackered.

Regards Jim

ok thanks guys....just got it started after some tinkering, the starter seemed ok ...i've narrowed it down to either a starter solenoid problem, or the alternator...having to charge the battery would explain the alternator.

Hmmm,

I'm sorry I cannot see an alternator problem causing a problem with the bike starting ( whatever the tinkering was) if the battery supplies 12DC the bike will run until the battery ,discharge, voltage is less than the voltage needed to supply the ign system. So if the bike runs on battery voltage until flat you may have a charging problem, but if the battery still has some beans left when the motor dies , you may have another problem.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online