Thunderace Spark Plugs

tripper
This post is 5005 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Remove the HT caps off the plugs, unscrew the plugs with a spark plug socket, then re-assemble in the reverse order.

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic, but this has got to be dumb question of the week.

you'll need to remove the tank, the airbox and then ^, its a bit of work to get to them, you will also need the yamaha plug spanner as not much else will fit in the access holes. Being 20 valve etc the plugs are deeply recessed.

Remove the HT caps off the plugs, unscrew the plugs with a spark plug socket, then re-assemble in the reverse order.

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic, but this has got to be dumb question of the week.

What I was trying to find out is the easiest way to access the plugs , tank off or through the side fairing. Obviously the question was slightly too simple

you'll need to remove the tank, the airbox and then ^, its a bit of work to get to them, you will also need the yamaha plug spanner as not much else will fit in the access holes. Being 20 valve etc the plugs are deeply recessed.

Great thanks for the advice a lot more helpful. Cheers

It also helps if you take out the top radiator mounting bolts, and move the radiator forward a bit.

If you don`t have the plug spanner in the Yamaha toolkit, just buy a cheapy from Halfords, and cut it down to size, as a normal size plug spanner won`t fit into the plug hole.

Its also worth cleaning all the crap out of the holes before you remove the plugs, and clean out the drain holes on the outside 2 plug holes.

You obviously don't know your Thunderaces !!!!. Don't give out any advice if you don't know what you're talking about

It also helps if you take out the top radiator mounting bolts, and move the radiator forward a bit.

If you don`t have the plug spanner in the Yamaha toolkit, just buy a cheapy from Halfords, and cut it down to size, as a normal size plug spanner won`t fit into the plug hole.

Its also worth cleaning all the crap out of the holes before you remove the plugs, and clean out the drain holes on the outside 2 plug holes.

Cheers , after taking out the Air Filter Box , I also had to remove a plastic cover fitted underneath the coils ( held in by two plastic screws either side underneath), undoing the radiator mounts made it possible to remove the cover. Now got the plugs changed. Thanks for the tip.

• 1 year later...

I've just changed my spark plugs.. took off the tank, air box then come across the coils and the plastic cover... this looked like a pain to remove so attempted to remove the plugs from the side by taking just the side fairing off and was successful. Wasn't too hard either and i have big gorilla hands. U can get the plug tool on the plug then use a 17mm spanner or socket to loosen and tighten... u don't get much give each way but its possible, cos i did it. Removing the top radiator bolts would help but not essential.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online