rd350 ypvs f2 smoking more out the right exhaust help!

pots
This post is 5560 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, i bought my rd last year as a project i rebuilt the top end and started using it and noticed it was more smokey out the right side exhaust on tick over, specialy when its on the side stand, the more i rode it i relised the crank was tired and mains were rumbling and then a big bearing casing broke up on me causing a stuck ring in me new top end!so i put the smokin down to crank seal prob letting oil into chamber. any who ive just rebuilt the engine from scatch with a refurbed crank new seals the lot!im just running in now and it seems to be smoking more out right side again!! well its kind of less and somtimes looks even through both exhausts but what is it!!today i have just made shim adjustments on oil pump and balanced carbs, it seems to be running lovely but this intamitant smoking is doin my nut in!!!could it be my crank drive gear being too worn?? it does have grooves in it from previuos crank seals plus i think the standard exhausts are from 2 differant bikes could this be it??anyones halp very much welcomed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi pots, dont like the sound of the groove you describe, the only real way is to pressure test your engine (and i dont mean a compression test), I suspect your transmission oil will smell of petrol in due course. there is a dedicated rdlc forum, our Mervin will hopefully guide you there.

...Paul

hi, pressure test hey? il look into it. gonna get few miles under me belt in mean time and make double sure shes running as she should other wise. i mean after all its pretty much a new engine now!!i need to find out were i can get a new primary drive gear that wont cost the earth too i think.cheers for the reply.

hi, pressure test hey? il look into it. gonna get few miles under me belt in mean time and make double sure shes running as she should other wise. i mean after all its pretty much a new engine now!!i need to find out were i can get a new primary drive gear that wont cost the earth too i think.cheers for the reply.

so does the crankcase seal run on a shoulder on this gear, and now you have a groove in this shoulder?...not familiar

hi, i bought my rd last year as a project i rebuilt the top end and started using it and noticed it was more smokey out the right side exhaust on tick over, specialy when its on the side stand, the more i rode it i relised the crank was tired and mains were rumbling and then a big bearing casing broke up on me causing a stuck ring in me new top end!so i put the smokin down to crank seal prob letting oil into chamber. any who ive just rebuilt the engine from scatch with a refurbed crank new seals the lot!im just running in now and it seems to be smoking more out right side again!! well its kind of less and somtimes looks even through both exhausts but what is it!!today i have just made shim adjustments on oil pump and balanced carbs, it seems to be running lovely but this intamitant smoking is doin my nut in!!!could it be my crank drive gear being too worn?? it does have grooves in it from previuos crank seals plus i think the standard exhausts are from 2 differant bikes could this be it??anyones halp very much welcomed

What colour is the smoke could it not be mixture, also the fact that putting it on its stand affected things. Have you done anything with the carbs?

hi guys, firstly yes the seal cuddles the primary drive gear and has 2 grooves init from 20 odd k of riding however the guy i bought refurbed crank from says the seal sucks down on to the drive gear through vacum hense causing this wear and should be ok.its blue smoke just like 2 stroke, engine level seems fine so far.when i bought it the oilpump and garbs were totaly wrong and it was smoking like bugary out both sides, lc guy i bought crank from also says it maybe build up of oil in pipes, he could be on to something there so iv got a pair of race cans im saving for when its run in, im gonna put em on and see if that effects things, let you all know the outcome soon.