Noobs VIN number hunt

Yamanoob
This post is 5636 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You will probably guess from my username that I am new to biking ,I have bought a 79 xs 250 off ebay ,its a bit of a dog at the moment but I am hoping to give her a good seeing to and ride her like seabiscuit <_< .

Anyhoo I have to fill out a V5 ,and need the frame number only thing is I cant seem to find it ,can anyone tell me where it is ,it looks as the the frame has had a lick of paint at some point but I would have thought I would have been able to find it .

So after paying 132 quid for the bike (I am not cheap just things are a little tight for us all at the moment) I got it home and tried to fire it up ,needed some juice in the battery so hooked it up to the car with some cables ,it is turning over but not firing up ,took the plugs out and they were wet with fuel ,so its gettin juice thru ,so I left the plugs on the leads and tried again to see if there was a spark ,there wasnt ,any thoughts ? .

So I am waitin for my haynes manual to arrive from ebay and a special head scratchin stick so I dont wear my fingers out when I start this project .

You may say " buy a runner " or " buy a better bike ,but the truth is I am saving up for tuition and my test and cant afford to do it all at once ,so I am gonna see if I can get the xs roadworthy for when I pass my test and run it for a while until a newer ride comes along .

Any advice would be much appreciated ,thanks

Joe.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome to the forum, its a great place to be :D

xs250 huh? i dont know all that much about them, all i will say is you don't sound like a noob!

i would have thought the VIN number would be on the off-side of the head-stock, but i guess you have looked there. maybe when it was painted it was taken off and not put back on.

Its on the head stock, but if your engine is original, the engine number matches the frame number!

enjoy your XS and if you get the chance a 400 motor will fit in with the 400 carbs

btw :welcome: to the forum

Its on the head stock, but if your engine is original, the engine number matches the frame number!

enjoy your XS and if you get the chance a 400 motor will fit in with the 400 carbs

btw :welcome: to the forum

Thanks mate ,I can sort that V5 now ,Interesting read is this forum Im sure I will be visiting it a lot in the future ,by the way Drewpy enjoy the mighty DC at the MEN ,I had to sell my floor ticket on ebay to fund this project ,couldnt say no to 215 quid.

Thanks mate ,I can sort that V5 now ,Interesting read is this forum Im sure I will be visiting it a lot in the future ,by the way Drewpy enjoy the mighty DC at the MEN ,I had to sell my floor ticket on ebay to fund this project ,couldnt say no to 215 quid.

bloody 'ell might be their last world tour!!!!!

You will probably guess from my username that I am new to biking ,I have bought a 79 xs 250 off ebay ,its a bit of a dog at the moment but I am hoping to give her a good seeing to and ride her like seabiscuit <_< .

Anyhoo I have to fill out a V5 ,and need the frame number only thing is I cant seem to find it ,can anyone tell me where it is ,it looks as the the frame has had a lick of paint at some point but I would have thought I would have been able to find it .

So after paying 132 quid for the bike (I am not cheap just things are a little tight for us all at the moment) I got it home and tried to fire it up ,needed some juice in the battery so hooked it up to the car with some cables ,it is turning over but not firing up ,took the plugs out and they were wet with fuel ,so its gettin juice thru ,so I left the plugs on the leads and tried again to see if there was a spark ,there wasnt ,any thoughts ? .

So I am waitin for my haynes manual to arrive from ebay and a special head scratchin stick so I dont wear my fingers out when I start this project .

You may say " buy a runner " or " buy a better bike ,but the truth is I am saving up for tuition and my test and cant afford to do it all at once ,so I am gonna see if I can get the xs roadworthy for when I pass my test and run it for a while until a newer ride comes along .

Any advice would be much appreciated ,thanks

Joe.

Hi Joe :welcome:

.... The no spark question .... have u a spark at the leads with the caps & plugs removed ? Is the engine stop switch (r/h handle bar above the start button) in the run position ? If you have no spark at this point. It's time to look at the points (timming & dwell angle) and general wiring for dodgey connections & 'modifications' with in the ignition section

Regards Jim

Hi Joe :welcome:

.... The no spark question .... have u a spark at the leads with the caps & plugs removed ? Is the engine stop switch (r/h handle bar above the start button) in the run position ? If you have no spark at this point. It's time to look at the points (timming & dwell angle) and general wiring for dodgey connections & 'modifications' with in the ignition section

Regards Jim

Cheers jim I will give all those things a whirl ,pretty sure the run switch was in the on position but i will check again.

Cheers jim I will give all those things a whirl ,pretty sure the run switch was in the on position but i will check again.

Hi,

between drewpy & I I'm sure that we can get your bike running and you can then ride it like a sea biscuit ???

Regards Jim

Hi,

between drewpy & I I'm sure that we can get your bike running and you can then ride it like a sea biscuit ???

Regards Jim

and best to post in "classics" or "workshop" as you will get a better response

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online