Newbie with 1973 MX250 questions

jhkinin
This post is 5628 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good day to all,

Last weekend I picked up a 1973 MX 250; it will need alot of elbow grease and a few parts but in the long run it will be worth the effort. below is a list of what I need so far:

1) Coil assembly

2) Air filter and cage

3) Silencer / stinger

4) Right and left side panels

5) Front number plate

6) Front and rear fender are on the bike but will be replaced

7) Decals for the tank and fender (Yellow stripe)

8) Brake lever (rear)

My question to those with much more experience than I - In searching for the coil where can I find info that would indentify other bikes that had the same coil? I can't imagine the MX250 coil was specific for one year/one model. at this point I'm not sure if my CDI is original which could complicate the coil search (CDI Hitachi TIA01 02 209). I would also think the filter/cage and rear brake lever were used on other models and years. Broadening my search for these parts with other models would make the hunting much easier. Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good day to all,

Last weekend I picked up a 1973 MX 250; it will need alot of elbow grease and a few parts but in the long run it will be worth the effort. below is a list of what I need so far:

1) Coil assembly

2) Air filter and cage

3) Silencer / stinger

4) Right and left side panels

5) Front number plate

6) Front and rear fender are on the bike but will be replaced

7) Decals for the tank and fender (Yellow stripe)

8) Brake lever (rear)

My question to those with much more experience than I - In searching for the coil where can I find info that would indentify other bikes that had the same coil? I can't imagine the MX250 coil was specific for one year/one model. at this point I'm not sure if my CDI is original which could complicate the coil search (CDI Hitachi TIA01 02 209). I would also think the filter/cage and rear brake lever were used on other models and years. Broadening my search for these parts with other models would make the hunting much easier. Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

John

Hi welcome to the forum....i presume your'e in the US ?

Try www.yamahaenduro.com

a good us based forum, the guys there are great and very helpful......i have '73 dt250 and have found a lot of bits through them.

Ebay has sourced the rest.

By the look of it none of the parts you are after are the hard to get ones, it would be helpful if you could post engine/chassis numbers here and on other forums, that way folk will know what you have.Even a photo too.

There were at least 2 variants of the 250 trails bike that i know of.

Find a parts book too....then you can order and find parts by the number.

Good Luck!

Chris.

Coil assembly, E bay or I have some extra's

Air fliter with cage, Unifilter

Silencer, E Bay or aftermarket

Side plates, e bay, DC Plastics or I might can help you.

Front plate, DC PLastics, Jakes Garage, or E Bay

Fenders, DC Plastics or E Bay

Tank decal, try YAMATOPDOG (Speed and Sport)

Rear Brake level, on E Bay often or I could help you.

Hi welcome to the forum....i presume your'e in the US ?

Try www.yamahaenduro.com

a good us based forum, the guys there are great and very helpful......i have '73 dt250 and have found a lot of bits through them.

Ebay has sourced the rest.

By the look of it none of the parts you are after are the hard to get ones, it would be helpful if you could post engine/chassis numbers here and on other forums, that way folk will know what you have.Even a photo too.

There were at least 2 variants of the 250 trails bike that i know of.

Find a parts book too....then you can order and find parts by the number.

Good Luck!

Chris.

Chrisp,

Thanks for the info; I will check out yamahaenduro.com.

Here are the numbers as requested;

Frame - 364-004365

Engine - 364-004365

From what I have seen so far; the numbers are a match for 1973 MX250.

Let me know if this is incorrect.

Thanks,

Coil assembly, E bay or I have some extra's

Air fliter with cage, Unifilter

Silencer, E Bay or aftermarket

Side plates, e bay, DC Plastics or I might can help you.

Front plate, DC PLastics, Jakes Garage, or E Bay

Fenders, DC Plastics or E Bay

Tank decal, try YAMATOPDOG (Speed and Sport)

Rear Brake level, on E Bay often or I could help you.

Twin Shock,

Send me a pm with prices on the coil, plastic, and rear brake lever.

Thanks,

Chrisp,

Thanks for the info; I will check out yamahaenduro.com.

Here are the numbers as requested;

Frame - 364-004365

Engine - 364-004365

From what I have seen so far; the numbers are a match for 1973 MX250.

Let me know if this is incorrect.

Thanks,

You do have a 1973.

You do have a 1973.

I have located and installed the coil. The electronics are all in place but I don't get a spark. With basic tools is there any way I can check the magneto and CDI to ensure they are good? Any and all recomendations appreciated.

I have located and installed the coil. The electronics are all in place but I don't get a spark. With basic tools is there any way I can check the magneto and CDI to ensure they are good? Any and all recomendations appreciated.

Learn from my experience with 36 year old CDI units that were not all that good when new. Don't waste any money on them. Go straight to a PVL Ignition.

Learn from my experience with 36 year old CDI units that were not all that good when new. Don't waste any money on them. Go straight to a PVL Ignition.

PVL sounds expensive; do you know the pricing? My plan is to complete a "Non" NOS restoration not to exceed $800. So far I have $150 for the bike and $45 for a new coil, plug cap, and plug. I just ordered a Clymer book from Amazon for $15 shipped. I'm in no hurry and plan on doing all the work myself.

PVL sounds expensive; do you know the pricing? My plan is to complete a "Non" NOS restoration not to exceed $800. So far I have $150 for the bike and $45 for a new coil, plug cap, and plug. I just ordered a Clymer book from Amazon for $15 shipped. I'm in no hurry and plan on doing all the work myself.

Well then for you the best and least expensive way to go is to find a points stator assembly from a 73,74 DT 250 Enduro. The PVL will be around $400, But NOS parts for your bike will be close to that if you can find them. And remember the parts are still 35 years old. You may spend that money and your bike runs for one day. The PVL works.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online