1979 yamaha gt80 wierd problem

austin
This post is 5450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

bike ran fine then started to bog down and now it will only idle if you give it gas or try to rev the engine it just bogs down then dies???? plenty of gas from petcock and what not any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

bike ran fine then started to bog down and now it will only idle if you give it gas or try to rev the engine it just bogs down then dies???? plenty of gas from petcock and what not any ideas?

Will it run any better with the choke on, sounds fuel related.

does it pick up/rev up when spraying wd-40 or carb spray into the carb? try that, if so, you have something inside cutting fuel flow off. good luck. let us know what you find.

no it runs the same with the choke on..... i would like some advice lol

Alright then, as said in another thread. It is time to disassemble the carburator and clean.

im going to pull out the proverbial "dead horse stick"

but, you have checked the air filter right?

im betting that you did.

maybe its your points gap?

i have stripped and cleaned the carb to no problems there?? any other ideas

Not to pick on you because I don't know your expertise with these old two stoke motorcycles but just because the carburator looks clean don't mean it is. There are small passages that can't be seen visually. Make sure they are all clean and pass carb cleaner and then replace all rubber "bits" within the carburator assembly. Carburators must be clean and tuned correctly. If you were close to me I would fix your bike for you. Have you taken a compression test ?

Does you engine sound normal while on idle?

Don't forget to blow compressed air (keyboard cleaner in an aerosol can work well for this) through every passage after you dip the dissassembled carb overnight and rinse it all off. Something might be stuck in your low speed circuit. Make sure the air screw is set at the original position per the manual, after thet you might need to adjust the throttle cable at the top of the carb, too loose can cause bogging.

Good luck.

ok i know the carb is clean i check the jet and its clear the carb is fine guarnteed i cant tell what it is for sure i started it got it to rev and all fien i go to drive first gear is fine and then 2nd gear just cuts out....... it does sound like it is misfireing but the plug seems to have a good spark

ok i know the carb is clean i check the jet and its clear the carb is fine guarnteed i cant tell what it is for sure i started it got it to rev and all fien i go to drive first gear is fine and then 2nd gear just cuts out....... it does sound like it is misfireing but the plug seems to have a good spark

Would you mind me asking your age Austin?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online