DT urgent help!

Ryan09
This post is 5488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was plodding along the m25 at 60mph and I had to go onto reserve but as I went to do this my engine made a weird clunk noise and cut out. I had to pull onto the hard shoulder where it started first touch of the button but has now started a rattle from the engine which rattles faster the more you rev. Does anyone have an idea what it could be as it felt pricey :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was plodding along the m25 at 60mph and I had to go onto reserve but as I went to do this my engine made a weird clunk noise and cut out. I had to pull onto the hard shoulder where it started first touch of the button but has now started a rattle from the engine which rattles faster the more you rev. Does anyone have an idea what it could be as it felt pricey :(

this sound simlar to my 50 ... :) it doesnt cause a major problem , but it would be a good idea to have a look at the piston if your really worried :) my dt50 rattles well :) only if she's running differently would i worry .

Right iv had it all apart piston is fecked but what i wanted to ask is:

Is there allowed to be any sideways action in the crank?

if not my big end is gone to :angry:

If you mean by movement the con rod moving about a bit left to right then yes thats fine, there should be NO movement up and down.

You say the piston is 'fecked', how so? the type of damage might lead us to the reason for the failure.....

do you mean the crank moves side ways in the main bearings if you do then the crank journals are worn also what colour is the firing tip on the spark plug

i dont know if its differant measurement on smaller bikes but my rd350 limit on side to side big end play is .25mm to .75mm my old crank had 1.8mm!! hense why the big end bearing casing broke up and wedged a bit in me piston.BUT there was no up and down play in me conrod!! had there of been i might of noticed prob so its worth checking the limits with feeler gauges.

Bloody hell people calm down the bike is only 18 months old, i would be surprised if its any more than just worn piston.

Ryan whats the bike done around 15thou??

Bikes done around 14000miles and is the first top end pics of piston:

17042009036.jpg

17042009037.jpg

As you can see i think it was a top end seizure that released again but im glad iv taken a look as piston

has definately seen better days! Learnt a bit about a 2stroke

engine and will know itl be good as new again when finished.

TIA

Also the spark plug was fine was a nice brown/black colour,

Theres not loads of sideways movement but just wanted to clarify whats allowed and whats not

No up and down movement what so ever though so not looking as bad as i first thought :rolleyes:

Also the spark plug was fine was a nice brown/black colour,

Theres not loads of sideways movement but just wanted to clarify whats allowed and whats not

No up and down movement what so ever though so not looking as bad as i first thought :rolleyes:

There you go i was close. ;)

Re-bore and piston with a top gasket set and a new little end bearing and all fixed.

Thanks im gona have it all sorted during the week thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Thanks again! :D

running in is a fine art i think, you shouldnt ride it to slow and you definately shouldnt ride it too quick. ive always riden my 2 strokes to about 4 to 5000 rpm for the first 100 miles then increase revs another 1000 rpm in high gears every 100miles you do till you get to aroun 500miles or there abouts job done.never failed me.....that is until me crank went on a new top end i was running in recently!! i only got to 100 miles.lost me nerve now doh!! mind you im on 90 miles now on a total rebuild, just keepin me thingers crossed ha ha.

Thanks for the info guys, its a shame im selling it in june for a bigger as i have a full liscence so someone will have a nice new engine ;)

Thanks for the info guys, its a shame im selling it in june for a bigger as i have a full liscence so someone will have a nice new engine ;)

Oh i don't know, keep a proper set of receipts for the work and it will help you sell it, nothing like concrete proof that a stroker has a clean bill of health to seal a deal.

Again good idea i didnt think of that ;)

Again good idea i didnt think of that ;)

Lovely story to read and nice to see someone getting on with it and getting such a lovely bike back on the road so quick. My Friends 02 DT blew up last summer, and hes slowly putting her back together after a rebore, pisotn rings.....hes moving away from the 2 wheels and is off to hide inside a metal shell by the looks of it :(

And i thought the force was strong within that one !

Btw Ryan, how much are you expecting to get for her? Ive got an 05 Dtr which i expect ill be selling around june-july too in favour of somthing a little larger. I paid 2100 from a dealer when it had 183km on the clock, yes one eight three! and its now around 4. Ive seen other electric start dt's for sale above 2k. anyone know if this is reasonable, especially in this economic climate! I mean i know they are a popular bike (and for good reason) but i was expecting some kind of depreciation, its not often you stand a chance of making a profit on a bike from a dealer is it?

Lovely story to read and nice to see someone getting on with it and getting such a lovely bike back on the road so quick. My Friends 02 DT blew up last summer, and hes slowly putting her back together after a rebore, pisotn rings.....hes moving away from the 2 wheels and is off to hide inside a metal shell by the looks of it :(

And i thought the force was strong within that one !

Btw Ryan, how much are you expecting to get for her? Ive got an 05 Dtr which i expect ill be selling around june-july too in favour of somthing a little larger. I paid 2100 from a dealer when it had 183km on the clock, yes one eight three! and its now around 4. Ive seen other electric start dt's for sale above 2k. anyone know if this is reasonable, especially in this economic climate! I mean i know they are a popular bike (and for good reason) but i was expecting some kind of depreciation, its not often you stand a chance of making a profit on a bike from a dealer is it?

I bought mine brand new from a dealer on an 07 plate and have spent around £600 on extras, dep pipe, heated grips, frame guards, bash plate, hand guards ..... list goes on, iv done 14000miles on her been good as gold and would love to see around the 2k mark. Im the only owner its ever had aswell and now with a new top end its good as new again :D

Thanks for the nice remarks by the way and im gettting back on the road soon as because its my only mode of transport and i just love being out on my bike hence a fair few miles.