The Arms' Race

XT Alan
This post is 7317 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I've just quit the Arms' Race and traded in a CB1300 for an XT660R. Although no firebreathing monster at 113bhp, the CB was a torque fiend at 86 ft lbs. Why did I change to the XT. Well, the Honda wasn't actually that great with a few minor but very irritating niggles. Lovely engine, decent gearbox and handling but too much of a Gentleman's Express and a total lack of character. I fell in love with the looks, but owning a Posemobile has a limited appeal after a while.

All this got me thinking about the state of motorcycling today. I love all things bike and the latest generation of sports bikes are truly awesome and in the R1's case very beautiful as well. The Big Four, each with a 170 mph rocket ship in their range! This is like an Arms Race. Where will it all end? The Fazer 1000 is seen as a middle of the road machine. My old Bandit 12 (tested at 154mph and a 0-60 in 3.4 secs) is seen as a tired old has been. My move to the XT is a decision to go "Back to Basics". Some basics! Fuel Injection, Digital everythin, liquid cooling - even this apparently rudimentary machine is ligh years on from my early years where Bonnies, Tridents, Commandos, CB750s, RD 350s, Teapots and Kawa triples ruled the world. Those were the days! 100 mph, skinny tyres, bendy frames and oil leaks.

My question - Are we having more fun today at 150 mph than we were yesterday at 90mph?

Phew! I'll go and lie down now....................... :?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good points Alan!

Well you know my views on motorcycling today.

Blatant consumerism aimed at the "I want it all and I want it now" Playstation Generation.

To be truthful I had much more fun on bikes years ago, but obviously I was younger and less cynical then. But those were simpler times, and if our bikes started...then it was a good day.

I'm dissappointed to see the extinction of the UJM's that would do anything, into the various product niche markets of today. So now, if you want to do everything, you have to own at least 3 bikes.

Except if you've got an XT of course! 8)

i agree completely with you alan. these bikes are awsome, but it's all going a bit far now. big power, great machines of just a few years back are now being slated by these journo idiots in performance berks and suchlike as being tired old dogs etc.. get bloody real!!! how much power is needed for the road, if we're being honest it's nowhere near what these guys think. speed comes too easy on these bikes, i love to ride my rd, 80mph and you bloody know you're doing it, it's such a shame there doesnt seem to be many basic, solid, do it all ujm's anymore. my xj is perfect for my needs and i think i shall move on to a fazer600 next as it still looks like a proper bike should and is as close to a modern do it all ujm i'll get.

i love to ride to have the control of somthing so lovely under me i love to feel the control of a sweeping curve i love to feel the power of the throttle when i open her up im not sure it would matter what she looked like power and torque over looks deffo

i love to ride to have the control of somthing so lovely under me i love to feel the control of a sweeping curve i love to feel the power of the throttle when i open her up im not sure it would matter what she looked like power and torque over looks deffo

so you like being on top then sounds good to me

christ i talk dival when pissed

lmao

I remember the time well. We were just coming to terms with the Honda 750 Four being the ultimate, when this came along and blew it away and started the whole Superbike thing.

Alan

I was at the Earls Court show in Nov 72 when it was unveiled Alan.

It was like something from another planet to us.

Hasn't it aged well though? Can't say the same about many others TBH.

I was at the Earls Court show in Nov 72 when it was unveiled Alan.

It was like something from another planet to us.

Hasn't it aged well though? Can't say the same about many others TBH.

indeed, even now compaired to all these so-called gorgeous bikes(i admit there are a few), the z1 still looks truly awsome. a proper bike 8) raw, big, fast, gorgeous flowing styling.

What I don't understand is how a company that produced the definitive ground breaking motorcycle in 1972.....

KawaZ900.jpg

....can somehow manage, 30 years later, to create a hideous parts bin special like this....

kaxa-z1000.jpg

....and have the fucking front to call it a Z1000. :roll:

Like ice cream and horse shit aren't they? :roll:

well......... :oops: as i've said before, i actually quite like the new zed. but they are not a patch on the zeds of old. they just dont have the same raw style and class 8) when kawasaki brought out their zephyr series in the 90's they didnt seem to go down all that well, i suppose the change in trends meant the power rangers weren't interested in these type of bikes. not sure what they were like, they looked ok but prob watered down alot i'd imagine. the zed can never be replaced

Kawasaki are sitting on a goldmine...but they're too stupid to see it.

If they brought out a new Z1 based very much on the original in terms of styling, but with modern technology like a ZX9 motor etc, they'd fly out the door.

Look at the number of XJR's, B12's, GSX14's etc that are about. They're all too big, too heavy, and not great performers. But they are basically the only options like that. The ZRX has 80's styling....but it's the original Z1 that's the inspiration for people, not Eddie Lawson 80's replicas.

All the BAB's would be queueing up for new Z1's....cos they were the bike that we ALL wanted in our youth, and few of us could afford.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online