Post from ThumperTalk!

Pete
This post is 7220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Probably the best pro Yam post I've EVER seen.

Read this....it really is superb:

Gotta chime in on this one.

For my money, I am a proud Yamaha man all the way. I have owned Yamaha street, trail and race bikes for 30 years and have always regretted going with another brand. A single bike was the exception, a 1986 CR250R, a very fine ride in it's day.

Yamaha's have traditionally always been a more stable mount at speed as opposed to headshaking, quick turning Honda's. This is a trait I treasure and apply in my riding.

Down through the relatively short history of Japanese motorcycles (mainly since the 60's), Yamaha has been a consistent innovator and winner in pretty much all forms of motorcycle racing. From their GP days when they took the world by storm with their lightweight 2 strokes(RD350's) against the mighty MV Agusta 4 strokes, to their outright domination of the roadracing world with the awesome TZ750. From it's release in 1987, with the FZR1000 all through the R1 years(till the GSXR1000 was released) Yamaha owned the street liter bike category.

Remember Bob Hannah and Kenny Roberts dominating the late 70's on Yamaha's in their respective fields.

Anyone in here remember 1980 when the YZ's G model absolutely stood the motocross world on its ear with best in class models in each engine size 80, 125, 250, 465? In 1984 Yamaha began racing production based bikes against the "Works" units of the other manufacturers and won the 250cc Championship with RJ before Honda bought him away. We can thank Yamaha for starting the process that brought such technology directly to the buying public that allowed amatuers to compete with pro level riders. Haven't you all seen the huge resurgence in Veteran class racing since the mid 90's, Thank Yamaha for that. You like this Thumpertalk site, spend all your non-riding time here, Thank Yamaha for that! I mean, I realize there were thumpers out there before the YZF's, but they were XR's, KLR's, DRz's, not a 11,000 + RPM firebreathing, flame-shooting hightech lightweight blue missile.

First to use reed valve induction, first with the mono-shock, first with water-cooling, first with power-exhaust valve(EXUP), first and still only with the Genesis head (5 valve heads), first with a modern 4 stroke and now first with their new process for injection moulded, hydro-formed aluminum frames allowing huge weight savings in street and dirt models while increasing strength.

Funny that, once again, all the other manufacturers are playing catch up to Yamaha. Hell, Kawasaki still doesn't have a large bore 4 stroke, 6+years after the YZF400 was released. Face it, Kawasaki is in big trouble, having to team up with Suzuki to stay afloat financially!

I know Honda makes a great product and has very high quality but what a farce for a company that supposedly prides itself on winning/leading. They sit on the fence while Yamaha designs, builds, markets a whole new class of bike, then they go and basically copy it, tone it down and give it a bland VANILLA Honda flavor. Honda may make a great bike and they may have a good business philosophy but they will never win my HEART. The magazines can have their say and opinion, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, Yamaha, IMHO makes a better overall bike.

When I ride a bike, any brand, I don't say wow, I really like the lightweight of this bike, or wow, I really like the suspension. I ride for the [@#$%&*!] eating grin the motor on said bike puts on my face. Well, lets face it, all the Yamaha's motor's kick ass. Most folks can just ride those lighter hitting Honda's, harder and for longer as opposed to the arm straightening YZ's.

Maybe it just goes back to Yamaha being the hisorical sentimental underdog, but they consistently make the best bikes in all classifications. They are THE leading innovators in the motorcycle world and by the looks of the newly released 2005's have my money and heart for another season.

I've invited the guy and any other Yam owners over.

Hopefully we'll get a few more "BleedinYanks" on board! 8)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i like this guy! 8) very interesting read that, thanks pete. yamaha is deffinately on the up and up. in me they have found a life long enthusiast, i have owned quite a few yamaha's now and tbh i dont plan on switching brand.

I enjoyed reading that. I have never had any real brand loyalty with bikes. I had a few Hondas in the 60s and early 70s - my favourite was the much maligned CB500T. The worst bike I ever owned was a Suzuki GS500 which was simply horrible. My other Suzukis have been great. I've had a Cotton (Villiers engine) which went like stink (both senses), a Triumph Tiger (Bonnie with single carb) with rubber mounted handlebars etc etc. Apart from the GS they have all had their good points and down points. This is my first Yamaha and it definitely has something quirky about it. It has character- very unusual in a modern bike.

I have read that unlike other Japanese companies, Yamaha have a less corporate (individuals developing concepts from start to finish as opposed to group decision making) philosophy and maybe this is behind what the writer says and feels.................?

Alan

As that guy says, Yamaha have consistently been the most innovative over the years.

And over the last 5 years (since Toyota put a lot of money in), build quality has improved dramatically.

Hello,

I wrote the original post that XTreme/Unmutual re-posted here and yes, I am a Yank. I currently live in Alaska, USA.

Looks like a really nice site. I'll be visiting often.

thanks for the nice comments. The post thread from Thumpertalk was headlined, Which company makes the best product. The post you read was my reply.

Yamaha, all the way! 8)

Hi mate!

Glad you made it over...you're not the only American here though, there's one that's a Mod. He's got dodgy hair though! :lol:

I'm always very impressed with the quality of the posts on the US forums, cos you guys have a lot of knowledge and take motorcycling very seriously.

And as I said on the intro, that original post of yours was outstanding.

Anyway....welcome aboard! 8)

• Admin

:hi Nomadak glad you popped in 8)

A very interesting post to read, and at least all of us on here agree 110% 8)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online