xt350 problems...

This post is 5079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there, i just bought a 1986 yamaha xt350 and there are some problems...

firstly the speedo reads faster than it should, goes up as a percentage...eg when going 20 it reads around 25 and when i go 30 it reads 40mph. is this normal for this bike? wrong size wheel?

the bike also occasionally backfires, i noticed the exhaust is missing a screw so is not completly airtight at engine end, is this why? also the engine chokes at around 6500 rpm then continues through the revs fine...could that be to do with the exhaust?

also are there any tips on starting the xt...can be a real workout at times!

thankyou, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers max

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Think yourself lucky that your speedo reads at all - mine doesn't! if you check my thread there's a description of how it works which might help.

I would replace the screw int he exhaust and make sure it seals first as from my limited knowledge air leaking into the exhaust can cause backfires I think. If you need gaskets Wemoto are cheap and quick. I would also give the carb a clean out and check the air filter, won't do any harm and could solve the problem.

Has your's got the decompressor connected to help starting? Mine starts 1st kick every time.

Good luck.

Starting routine for mine is - choke on, kick it over and hey presto, away we go.

Being serious though, I would try full choke, no throttle and make sure you get a full swing on the kick starter, if that doesn't get it to fire within 3 kicks knock the choke off and try again with no throttle, again if that doesn't work try just a little bit of throttle.

I think i'm pretty lucky to be honest because the engine that came with the bike was a dog, it would barely start and smoked like hell. I bought a 2nd hand engine off ebay which I found out after had only doen 14000 km it was form an import bike that a guy breaks and once i'd put it in it fired up 3rd kick.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Hi, On the starting of the bike the official method is to Kick or "roll" the engine over with the ignition off and full choke on, then switch on and it should start 1st or 2nd kick. This is for cold start only.

I have been messing with mine for the last few months and its now perfect.

Ali

Like most XT's.......they like to be ridden Regularly......

The starting ritual just comes by 2nd nature after a bit. ;)

Like most XT's.......they like to be ridden Regularly......

The starting ritual just comes by 2nd nature after a bit. ;)

your right there YamaHead, i now enjoy getting the xt started...probably the sense of relief...

as to the speedo problem, i have just figured out the real speed i am going than marked it on the speedo with some stickers.

cheers max

Not a bad idea there Max ;)

My 550 speedo went tits-up a few years ago :unsure: .....

But my 600's doesn't read correctly either due to the 17" Excels.....

So your sticker trick sounds like something I could do as a temporary fix.......until I can afford to get it re-calibrated. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Starting routine for mine is - choke on, kick it over and hey presto, away we go.

Being serious though, I would try full choke, no throttle and make sure you get a full swing on the kick starter, if that doesn't get it to fire within 3 kicks knock the choke off and try again with no throttle, again if that doesn't work try just a little bit of throttle.

I think i'm pretty lucky to be honest because the engine that came with the bike was a dog, it would barely start and smoked like hell. I bought a 2nd hand engine off ebay which I found out after had only doen 14000 km it was form an import bike that a guy breaks and once i'd put it in it fired up 3rd kick.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Hi , sorry for the thread drift :offtopic:

Do you happen to remember where you bought the engine from as I am looking for a replacement for my smoky / rattly unit at the moment ??

Cheers,

Mike.

I bought a good bottom end and then bought got the chance of a complete engine, both off ebay, yuo just have to keep an eye out.

If your interested i have a good bottom end, no play in the bearigns,new cam chain and also the top end off my original engine, head looks ok to me but the piston's shot and the barrel needs rebored. I was going to build it up into a full engine but now the bikes on the road I've lost interest in the spanners

I bought a good bottom end and then bought got the chance of a complete engine, both off ebay, yuo just have to keep an eye out.

If your interested i have a good bottom end, no play in the bearigns,new cam chain and also the top end off my original engine, head looks ok to me but the piston's shot and the barrel needs rebored. I was going to build it up into a full engine but now the bikes on the road I've lost interest in the spanners

Hi. I could be interested in the bottom end if you are keen to sell ? I have got hold of a newly rebored barrel / piston & a pretty good head but am reluctant to build them onto the base of the engine I have as there is a lot of play in the main bearing , the gudgeon pin end of the con rod is elongated and the cam chain is totally stretched out !!

Is your gearbox & clutch in good order so that I could just work on the top end ?

Any chance that you can reply to my own email as I can check that at work but cannot access any forums !

[email protected]

All the best,

Mike.

• 11 months later...

Hi, On the starting of the bike the official method is to Kick or "roll" the engine over with the ignition off and full choke on, then switch on and it should start 1st or 2nd kick. This is for cold start only.

I have been messing with mine for the last few months and its now perfect.

Ali

Hey thanks for posting advice on starting XT350. I purchased my 1985 bike a year ago. Really great bike to ride but was on the verge of selling it because i could never start the bastard! Even walked home with it on occasion. Rather than die of exhaustion trying to kick it over.

Anyway after reading your thread about rolling the engine over with the ignition off first. It starts first time every time hot or cold. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for posting advice on starting XT350. I purchased my 1985 bike a year ago. Really great bike to ride but was on the verge of selling it because i could never start the bastard! Even walked home with it on occasion. Rather than die of exhaustion trying to kick it over.

Anyway after reading your thread about rolling the engine over with the ignition off first. It starts first time every time hot or cold. :D

Hi

Ive just rebuilt my 1985 XT350 motor , as i had to replace the main gearbox shaft bearing, i had to split the casings.

This was done in a mates garage , n the only part i couldnt find was the decomp cable bracket on the clutch casing the cable sits in to engage on the kickstart.

I cant find the bugger. so ive no decomp cable to help with starting.

I find if i use the old method of finding TDC and pushing down ,then letting the kickstart come back up , a good kick n it starts fine 2nd or 1st kick cold ,or warm.

Im going to eventualy fit a manual decom leaver on the handle bars , if im feeling weak , n just to help the motor start .

But with full compression (my valves ground in and new rings fitted) i can still kick the 350 over fairly easy.

Ive had a XT500 and 600 before so the lil 350 anit that bad.

ugg