Rev counter sweep on my 2001 R1

yama-hond-uki77
This post is 5643 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all you yamaha nuts!

im new to these sport machines, just chopped in my Busa for a 2001 R1 and i'm 'king stoked with it! only thing is the custom pipes somone fitted meant the exup valve was disconnected (electrically and mechanically)

the bike runs fine but the fricking rev counter keeps dancing to get my attention!

does anyone know how to fool the ecu into thinking the servo is still there and display the correct Rpm?

cheers folks!!! :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The EXUP should remain connected electronically with the valve's moving parts removed. This should then be tied up and taped over to keep it clean and secure.

Without the electrical connections in place, the rev counter will always go haywire.

I personally will not remove an EXUP valve for a customer - it always leads to problems IME. If they want to remove it prior to the bike arriving in my workshop then fine but I will not condone the practise and I certainly will not guarantee that they will not encounter running problems.

The EXUP should remain connected electronically with the valve's moving parts removed. This should then be tied up and taped over to keep it clean and secure.

Without the electrical connections in place, the rev counter will always go haywire.

I personally will not remove an EXUP valve for a customer - it always leads to problems IME. If they want to remove it prior to the bike arriving in my workshop then fine but I will not condone the practise and I certainly will not guarantee that they will not encounter running problems.

great thanks!

so basically if i get a spare servo and connect electronically ONLY the rev counter should behave?

does anyone have a spare exup servo knocking about? let me know

As Madison has said, you need to keep the servo connected.

The rev counter is going haywire as it acts as a fault indicator, showing there are problems with the Exup valve.

You can get a plug in box that takes the place of the servo, can`t remember exactly what they`re called, might be

"servo eliminator" or something like that.

They were selling on Ebay.

great thanks!

so basically if i get a spare servo and connect electronically ONLY the rev counter should behave?

does anyone have a spare exup servo knocking about? let me know

Check out EBay from £20 to £80 for the motor

thanks peeps! think i will use my own electrically minded noodle to devise my own eliminator! must just be a resistor across two or more of the pins in the plug but i will post again with the fruits of my labour!!! :blink:

okey dokey!

me been doing some fishing on the web and it looks like i'm not the only sucker who tried to fix this tacho tango!

but here are some tips;

1st if you are thinking of removing the servo motor DONT! IT WILL COST YOU MONEY AND STRESS unless u are desperate to loose some more weight (better off cutting down on the donuts fatso!)

just disconnect the drive cables and leave the harness connected

2nd if you have a full system and some bright tosser decided it wud be good to whip it all out b4 you bought it just buy a used servo and do as above

servos cost about 30-45 quid where as servo-subs or bridges are 80-100 quids!

do not just connect fixed resistors across terminals as the ecu tests function of a exup by a return signal of varying resistances to check it opens fully and closes again!

if you want to build your own replacement part it can be done cheapply but you will need a bit of electronics experience but here is a great page with diagrams and tech info!

http://biketransplant.tripod.com/exup_replacement.htm

i'm gonna bite the bullit and buy a used servo so offers please if anyone has a spare

P.S. thanks for all the help :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online