Yzf 400 Big ends gone??

yzf400
This post is 5647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello again,

I have managed to strip down the head, i have crank conrod and piston in full view, as i bought the bike as a not runner i need to some how find out if the big ends are gone?

What are the tell tale signs?

Regards

james

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your bike is a single cylinder, the 'big end' is the bearing between the connecting rod (con rod) and the crank pin. take the con rod in your fingers and feel for any up and down or roughness as you swivel the con rod on the crank pin.. you should be able to select neutral gear and start the crank rotating by taking the little end in your fingers and using up 'down movements to rotate the crank (i think)

did you have it running?

the telltale sign is a constant knocking which increases as the revs rise, but if you have already stripped the engine down then as mentioned above check for up/down play on the con rod (hold the crankshaft and then move the con rod up and down/side to side e.t.c)

i checked that when it was apart no up and down play there but a little side to side! the crank where the codrod is joind is coloured a little from heat, is this normal?

Im hope its just piston and rings need replacing :D i bought bike for £350! cud be a bargain here

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online