r6 2001 using a lot of oil

r62001blue
This post is 5556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeh put oil in twice

OK I suspect that the engine breather tubes are blocked and as the engine crankcase pressurises, its blowing oil out or past the piston rings and burning it. If the casings are clean and the rear of the bike, it must be burning oil. You might find some in the airbox, so clean it, ride it and check again. Clean all breathers first.

Did you actually check the level of oil in the sight glass before you topped it up as the R6 uses an oil level switch in the sump and can come on under hard acceleration or braking and is nothing to worry about. With only 12000 miles on the clock i wouldn't worry about the engine being worn out unless it has been severely neglected by the previous owner.When checking the oil let the bike stand for a couple of minutes with the engine off and with the bike upright check the level in the sightglass in the RH side clutch cover. Tony.

Sight unseen, it sounds like you need new piston rings.

Mileage doesn't mean a thing when it comes to piston rings wearing out.

The age of the bike shows a lack of use and, while this helps resale value, it doesn't help engine internals.

My advice would be to get the 24k major service done early. This will include valve clearances, carb re-jetting and balancing, etc. Get those piston rings checked!

I have known early R6s to suffer the same issues as a lot of Thunderaces where the pistons tend to oval themselves slightly, only by microns, but enough to pass oil. The only true cure for this is a re-bore but new piston rings will help in the short term if you cannot afford the cost of a full re-bore.

with the bike upright check the level in the sightglass in the RH side clutch cover.

Not upright. You will underfill if you take a reading from upright.

Check the oil level with the bike on the side stand, that's how the bike was designed.

The oil level is checked with the bike UPRIGHT NOT on the sidestand.If you check it when its on the sidestand you will overfill it. Quote from the GENUINE Yamaha workshop manual.

CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL

1. Stand the motorcycle on a level surface

NOTE.

Place the motorcycle on a suitable stand

Make sure the motorcycle is UPRIGHT

2.Start the engine,let it idle for several minutes and then stop it

3.Check engine oil level

The engine oil level should be between the minimum level mark and maximum level mark.

That quote completely contradicts the Yamaha Manual I have got, direct from Yamaha Japan I might add! :blink:

The oil level is checked with the bike UPRIGHT NOT on the sidestand.If you check it when its on the sidestand you will overfill it. Quote from the GENUINE Yamaha workshop manual.

CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL

1. Stand the motorcycle on a level surface

NOTE.

Place the motorcycle on a suitable stand

Make sure the motorcycle is UPRIGHT

2.Start the engine,let it idle for several minutes and then stop it

3.Check engine oil level

The engine oil level should be between the minimum level mark and maximum level mark.

Chapter 6 page 10 HERE

Page 87 HERE

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online