Another XS400

lhurt
This post is 5623 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, Luke here,

First off this forum is amazing and it's great to find a place where so many people are enthusiastic about XS400s. Since a lot of you are from England, it might be relevant that me mum is from Liverpool.

I inherited an xs400 last year from a friend of a coworker and last summer I had it working and had joined a forum to help and be helped.

Here is a link to my introduction:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=81240

Most of the useful information is in the following thread:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=81312

There are also a listing of all the XS400 owners on the forum:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=83842

I hope you don't mind me trying to connect the two forums a bit. But I feel like it's the right thing to do, to give a little before asking for help.

I've been an avid lurker of this group and finally decided to officially join.

Cheers,

Luke

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum

the xs400 is popular in the US and Germany but less so here!! never mind it kinda makes it more exclusive ;)

:welcome: to the asylum Luke

I used to have a coupla '81's in the list of 14 Yamaha's that I've owned......Great little bike!

I also see you've found our resident XS400 expert....Drewps ;)

By the way, that 26mm float height is the beans. Just confirming that it works for mine too, an '81 SH.

My engine runs well when warm, but takes a bit of time to smooth out. When I first start it, the right cylinder takes a bit a minute or two to kick in. Last year, it was the left cylinder, so I'm wondering if it could be the carb synch.

I've been reading about the dead cylinder method of synching. Doesn't require any tools and some suppose it's as good, or better than, a vacuum gauge.

I adjusted the valves last year, though they were quite close to factory spec when I opened them up.

I haven't done anything with the timing yet. I haven't started reading about it yet so I don't even know if I need a timing light to check mine since it had an electronic ignition.

Is anyone here real familiar with the wiring inside the headlight? I removed my headlight and blinkers thinking I could remove my front brake system without disconnecting the hydraulic lines. Turns out, no matter how I wished, the master cylinder simple wouldn't fit between the fork leg and the head tube. Anywho, long story short, I didn't put the headlight back together right away and now I noticed a single extra black wire with a female connector. Not sure if it was always there, but it seems strange. At moment, I've reconnected the blinkers, but not the headlight.

Cheers, it's Friday!

there are a few wires in my headlight that don't do anything. I think Its a generic loom to cover all the countries.

if its a feed make sure its isolated and try the electrics, you'll soon se what doesn't work

drewps

Anybody out there successfully replace the 6.4" headlight with a 7" standard unit but retain the original blinkers? The low-beam filament on my bulb is burned out. The hi-beam works so for the time being, I plan to just drive around with that. Low-beam wasn't too bright anyway if I remember correctly.

Looked on ebay for a new bulb. In the US, the XS400 sold with a sealed headlight lens assembly so you can't replace just the bulb without major surgery. Looks like it was a simple threaded ring on the UK version though. Bummer.

Luke

Anybody out there successfully replace the 6.4" headlight with a 7" standard unit but retain the original blinkers? The low-beam filament on my bulb is burned out. The hi-beam works so for the time being, I plan to just drive around with that. Low-beam wasn't too bright anyway if I remember correctly.

Looked on ebay for a new bulb. In the US, the XS400 sold with a sealed headlight lens assembly so you can't replace just the bulb without major surgery. Looks like it was a simple threaded ring on the UK version though. Bummer.

Luke

I went to a 7" bucket/headlight off @ a 78-79 or so Honda CB750. Looks great, works like a champ. I did, however, have to change the front turn signals. Usin' universal ones that are doubling as hold-down nuts for the headlamp. If I can get 'em, I'll post a few pix tomorrow.

Luke

I switched to a 7" headlight by taking the trim ring out and shaving down the metal clips. the original blinkers fit the new headlight with some gentle persuasion.

Found a new old stock one for $50. I'm not pleased about spending that much, but any alternative will be a project and I don't have time for that at the moment.

Use this info at your own risk, but I was told on another forum that CB400Fs have the same odd 6.25" diameter headlight. I didn't want to take a chance as the Honda headlight was still $43.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online