High rev's at tick over and overheating

simondlh
This post is 5643 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I have a 1991 DTR 125 and when I start the bike up first time it ticks over at usually 1,500rpm but after i've opened up the throttle it sticks at 6,000rpm.

To accompany this the temp guage is going into the red after 10 mins of riding plus the water filler at the back of the bike keeps running out.

Am i right in thinking that there is a leak somewhere, perhaps cylinder head gasket is blown, which is spitting out the water causing it to overheat and the high revs are due to the air leak also?

Any thougths would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the air leak is the most likely cause of the erratic idling, had that problem with my jawa and it turned out there was a gasket missing from the reed valve assembly.

the overheating would also be caused by the lean running, so check your system for perished seals, broken gaskets and rotten rubbers ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online