1979 Yamaha GT80 WONT START

austin
This post is 5635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i recently received a 1979 Yamaha gt80 and it ran Sunday and Monday fine Tuesday i pulled it out and it wouldn't star???? i cleaned the carb and all that check the spark plug and its sparking and what not gas is going into the carb so i know that's working i know its not a seized piston.... but i cant figure out whats wrong. i thought compression but that makes no since considering it ran the previous 2 days. i would really appreciate some help and advice thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Little two strokes can be finicky sometimes, if you kicked it over many times it could have too much fuel in the combustion chamber (my son does this with his dirtbike a lot), just pull the plug and give it a couple swift kicks to blast the fuel out. Don't rule out compression loss, when I started working on my RS100 a few weeks back it tested with plenty of compression but no spark, when I finally got a spark and tried to start it the rings stuck to the piston and compression was lost. Ended up having to re-ring it and replace all the associated gasket to get it running again.

Good luck.

we need three things for your bike to run

The correct fuel / air mixture in the cylinder

Adequate compression of the fuel / air mixture

A spark at the right time

Thats about it so lets start with fuel, did you re fill the tank immediately before the no start problem?

after a continued failed attempt to start, is the sperk plug wet with fuel? By the way...try another plug even though you have seen this one sparking

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online