XS400 Master cylinder

gdarrell
This post is 4812 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

anyone know where you can find a new plastic reservoir to replace the ones on the late 70s early 80s XS 400s?

Mine is old and leaking around the bottom. I have taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but it now leaks past the large O-ring that is supposed to seal the reservoir to the aluminum master cylinder. I either need to get a replacement (with O-ring) or find someway to seal it that won't break down from the brake fluid.

Brakes work ok, but I don't want to grab a handful of brakes one day and get nothing but air :o

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

some guy in Derby UK got some made years ago and I managed to get one. B)

you should find that the xs750, 850 and 1100 share the same resevior.

Hi gdarrell,

Are you still looking for a master cylinder or reservoir? I recently replaced my old one with a new (and slightly different) version from MikesXS. I still have the old one. My reason for replacement is that it wouldn't release the piston. I'm not sure the if the mastercylinder was faulty even. Likely just needs a good cleaning and perhaps a rebuild.

I had thoughts of one day rebuilding it just to learn what is inside, but seems like you might have a better use for it.

If you're interested, let me know. It's just sitting in my parts bin and I hate ebay.

Luke

Hi gdarrell,

Are you still looking for a master cylinder or reservoir? I recently replaced my old one with a new (and slightly different) version from MikesXS. I still have the old one. My reason for replacement is that it wouldn't release the piston. I'm not sure the if the mastercylinder was faulty even. Likely just needs a good cleaning and perhaps a rebuild.

I had thoughts of one day rebuilding it just to learn what is inside, but seems like you might have a better use for it.

If you're interested, let me know. It's just sitting in my parts bin and I hate ebay.

Luke

sure... I have the same problem. got an extra but still haven't been able to get the snap ring out to release the piston - its stuck in there.... let me know how much for yours.

how does the replacement work and how much did it set you back? might be worth checking into...

if you are having problems with the circip (snapring?)

I normally get a rebuild kit first as it conatins a spare boot which the circlip holds.

the old boot is ripped out so you can see the circlip!

normally you need extra long circlip pliers but i have used a long nail to at least move the clip and then "flick" one side up (via the hole in the circlip) and do the same with the other.

sometimes its good to soak in wd40 or some other releasing oil before hand

drewps

Hi guys,

anyone know where you can find a new plastic reservoir to replace the ones on the late 70s early 80s XS 400s?

Mine is old and leaking around the bottom. I have taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but it now leaks past the large O-ring that is supposed to seal the reservoir to the aluminum master cylinder. I either need to get a replacement (with O-ring) or find someway to seal it that won't break down from the brake fluid.

Brakes work ok, but I don't want to grab a handful of brakes one day and get nothing but air :o

You can get new master cylinders from MikesXS and they will fit just fine. Just don't tell them it's for an XS400 or they won't sell them to you. All the XS models share the same disk brake parts except for the XS1100 specials.

• 1 year later...

My master cylinder broke a while back and so I changed to a m/c off of a Honda CBR600F2. Bolted right up and will pitch the bike hard on the front suspension. VERY good upgrade, and doesn't look too very out of place.

Hello there. I've got a 78 XS400 and the bottom seal in the rear master cylinder is leaking.

Are you talking about the front or rear cylinder here ? thx. I'm thinking the rear, but just want to be sure.