Fat noob on a small bike...

Kaliber
This post is 5558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, Kaliber here, im new to this biking stuff, but have allways loved me choppers and cruisers...

My question is this, im 6'6" tall, 24st 6lbs, and 19 years old. Im looking for a bike to last me till im 21 so i can move up among the big boys :P

Can anyone suggest anything? Getting a bigger bike obviously isnt an option, and itll mainly be for commuting into town and work/uni...

I was looking at a Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar, heard somewhere there load limit is 28st?? Either that or a Virago 125, as my dad has the 750 allready and i love it lol

TIA for the help,

Kaliber.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The Drag is the biggest of the 125 Cruisers and an excellent choice, if I may say so!!

Not the fastest (Shadow and Intruder outperform it), but there's very little between them anyway.

So yeah, sounds like you're on the right track already!!

Go for it, fella!!!

Hey guys, Kaliber here, im new to this biking stuff, but have allways loved me choppers and cruisers...

My question is this, im 6'6" tall, 24st 6lbs, and 19 years old. Im looking for a bike to last me till im 21 so i can move up among the big boys :P

Can anyone suggest anything? Getting a bigger bike obviously isnt an option, and itll mainly be for commuting into town and work/uni...

I was looking at a Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar, heard somewhere there load limit is 28st?? Either that or a Virago 125, as my dad has the 750 allready and i love it lol

TIA for the help,

Kaliber.

Hi Kaliber, welcome to the forum, right... I know this is not a Yami but have you looked at the Honda Varadero XL 125.

This is a very big bike and also a V twin and it will cruise along all day at a steady 65/70 mph.

One of my old mates had one and believe me he was quite a big lad and he loved it. just thought it might manage you till the time comes when you can move up to one of the cruisers.

Phil.

Awesome stuff guys thanks a lot :D

Good to hear i made a good choice, to be honest i have kinda fallen in love with the lines of the Dragstar lol

Yammy Dodger, thanks for the suggestion, but i dont think the Honda would be my thing tbh mate lol I'm the youngest, fattest biker dude youll probly ever meet lol im balding and have a beard and everything, so i think i suit the cruisers and choppers more :P thanks for the suggestion though, ill deffo keep it in mind

Cheers guys.

• 2 months later...

Well i finally got my bike, A 2001 Yammy XVS125 DRAGSTAR, and in a very dashing red and cream envisage too :P

Been riding about on small private roads just to get a bit of practise before my CBT next week :)

Just wandering, would anyone suggest not taking a CBT on the dragstar, are there cones and slaloms etc involved in a CBT? It's just that i need to know whether i should book my CBT with bike rental?

Cheers again guys.

Well i finally got my bike, A 2001 Yammy XVS125 DRAGSTAR, and in a very dashing red and cream envisage too :P

Been riding about on small private roads just to get a bit of practise before my CBT next week :)

Just wandering, would anyone suggest not taking a CBT on the dragstar, are there cones and slaloms etc involved in a CBT? It's just that i need to know whether i should book my CBT with bike rental?

Cheers again guys.

In theory the CBT can be done on anything, i have personally seen it done with on a busa. But its up to you. The rental would prob be slightly easier but i'm sure you will practicing first anyway. So i'd save the cash.

Well the place I did my CBT included bike hire, in fact I don't think they offered the chance to bring your own, but some places do. As long as you can do a U turn on the bike you won't have any problems. On my CBT we did the U turn on an industrial estate so it was a nice wide road, not too difficult. We also had to do a figure of 8 between cones, but again, it wasn't a very tight layout so not too challenging. I was on a YBR.

One other thing to consider, not trying to put you off, but if you did drop a bike would you rather it was yours or their battered old training bike?

My ex did her actual test on her own 125 Drag.

The U-Turn will be a problem, but it's up to the instructor to find somewhere wide enough, not you.

So long as you are good enough, no worries!!

The problem you might find with CBT on a hire bike is that they will be fecking tiny.

However, plenty of people manage it, so it may be worth giving it a go.

I'd advise NOT riding around before you have the DL196, unless it is private property.... which I just saw you have stated, so no worries :rolleyes:

CBT will challenge you with left turns, right turns, figure-8s, roundabouts and a few other things. No slalom, from what I recall...

Have a serious think, decide for yourself and have fun on the day!!

Listen to what you're told and learn well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online