part nos & tool needed

dpen
This post is 5652 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

have recently bought a '94 Diversion 900 & have 2 questions

could anyone give me a part no for taper steering head bearings (mine still has the balls)

what is the size of the nut (across the flats) required to lock the damper in the forks so as to undo the lock bolt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have recently bought a '94 Diversion 900 & have 2 questions

could anyone give me a part no for taper steering head bearings (mine still has the balls)

what is the size of the nut (across the flats) required to lock the damper in the forks so as to undo the lock bolt

Hi There,

the damper has a 27mm nut correct Yamaha part no, for the tool is, 90890 01388, this it a nut that fits into a tee bar but I guess a 27mm nut attached to a long enough tee bar will do the job from what I can see. Yamaha themselves did not fit timpkin taper bearings in the steering head but from a quick search on ebay there are conversions to buy. My Divi 900 is now 11 years old (well younger than yours) and to date no service work has been required to the steering head assy. If the head is 'lumpy' you could try just slackening it a bit but if this then puts lateral play into the head you may just have to strip the head assy out fit new balls & rotate the races so that any dents in the races are towards the rear of the headset. If you have lateral play in the forks just adjust the steering head until the play has gone. Yamaha recomend every 12,000km to adjust the steering head and a strip down, clean & regrease at 24,000 km so you may find your bike just needs its correct service rather than replacement. The repairs mentioned above will be cheaper & ,may be less time consuming than fitting a taper bearing set for no real gain over the oem setup.

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim, there's nothing wrong with the bearings-I just prefer to replace them with tapers on all my bikes

I can't get the lock bolt off the fork damper using all my old tricks (broom handle etc) so I'll have to try for a nut welded to a bar down the guts of the fork to hold the damper

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online