SR125 wiring help

Chris Dugan
This post is 5652 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I'm new to biking and got hold of an SR125 for the right price at the right time :-)

The problem that I have is that it cuts out, now I have checked all the electrical connections that I can see, cleaned (electrical contact cleaner) and replugged a few times to wipe the contacts and also had to reset the valve clearances so it is now running a lot better and even starts when warm now YAY! The inlet valve was staying open due to zero tappet clearance when cold - proved when I was trying to find TDC as I could hear air escaping on the compression stroke back through the carburettor.

One thing left for me to get to the bottom of is in the wiring:- earth leads (to battery -ve terminal):

I can only find one lead from the battery -ve to the gearbox/engine case which is connected just infront of the rear suspension arm, should there be another earth lead/connection somewhere between the battery and the frame? The reason that I am asking is that there was a spare bit of black wire bolted to the coil mount when I got the bike - explanation given "It's another earth connection but it isn't needed". When I connect this directly to the engine block (trapping it under one of the top engine mount bolts) it improves the electrical connection between the frame and the battery -ve.

Can anyone confirm/shed any light on this?

Thanks ,

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum, I have to admit that I'm not familiar with SR125 but why not just connect battery negative to a mounting point on the frame, it wont do any harm at all.

Cheers oldgitonabkie; I'll make up another earth lead :-)

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online