DT 50 Forks

gary zxr400
This post is 2425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there I am currently restoring an old DT 50 for my cousin and am trying to take the forks apart to replace the seals and to give the fork bottoms a coat of paint. I have taken the nut out of the top along with the washer and the rubber seal and at the point where the leg enters the bottom i have removed the circlip and also the flat washer. ~I expected there to be a bolt at the bottom of the fork bottom to undo as there was on my old ns125 that i had the forks apart on several times but there is not and so i am now stumped as to how to seperate the fork. Any help would be apreciated as trying to get it sorted asap for his 16th birthday and the bike is litraly a box of bits. :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there I am currently restoring an old DT 50 for my cousin and am trying to take the forks apart to replace the seals and to give the fork bottoms a coat of paint. I have taken the nut out of the top along with the washer and the rubber seal and at the point where the leg enters the bottom i have removed the circlip and also the flat washer. ~I expected there to be a bolt at the bottom of the fork bottom to undo as there was on my old ns125 that i had the forks apart on several times but there is not and so i am now stumped as to how to seperate the fork. Any help would be apreciated as trying to get it sorted asap for his 16th birthday and the bike is litraly a box of bits. :blink:

Hi Gary,

all you need to do now is put the outer leg in a vice and shock the inner leg out of it. If you keep using the inner leg like a slide hammer it will remove the seal from outer leg and the forks will then be apart. To refit drop the inner leg in the outer , slide the seal over the inner and tap the seal down with a drift until the circlip groove is visible drop in the washer and refit the circlip.

Regards Jim

Cool thanks for that was sort of what i had been trying but was not sure so was being a bit gentle incase i was wrong :D

Hi Gary,

if they have been together for some while you will need to 'give it some' for the seal to come out, becarefull you don't get impaled on the inner leg :ambulance: oh forgot to say :welcome:

Regards Jim

Hi Gary,

if they have been together for some while you will need to 'give it some' for the seal to come out, becarefull you don't get impaled on the inner leg :ambulance: oh forgot to say :welcome:

Regards Jim

came apart fairly easy the second one i didnt even need to put in the vice just held between my feet and gave a good pull (ohh er missus lol ) :o

came apart fairly easy the second one i didnt even need to put in the vice just held between my feet and gave a good pull (ohh er missus lol ) :o

There we go !,

Yamaha making service easy :lol: just make sure on reassembly that the seal goes in straight as sometimes it is not easy to get the seal below the circlip groove if it has been put in 'cocked' as the inner leg tends to hold the seal out !!!

Regards Jim

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd give it a go - just stripped my son's 1988 DT50MX forks as described above. Is there a way to remove the damper unit from the sliders at all? There's no mention in the Haynes book of any dismantling beyond pulling the stanchions out.

It can be done, I'll find a picture.. 

There should be a circlips under the seals, then the bronze bush on the stanchion is pressed in, use a hydraulic puller or improvise 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online