1978 YB100 Cannot get spark

Brendanmic
This post is 5639 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i was just woundering if anyone knows if there are any secrets to getting the magnetor off so i can get to the points, also woundering why there are sparks at the points but none at the plug is this normal? if not how do i fix this problem pls. was sparking at the plug before i dissasembles the whole engine to clean and replace gaskets, no cuts in wires used multimeter have strong feeling its got something to do with the sparking at the points, New to all of this just brought this bike in very good condition keen get it going.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi i was just woundering if anyone knows if there are any secrets to getting the magnetor off so i can get to the points, also woundering why there are sparks at the points but none at the plug is this normal? if not how do i fix this problem pls. was sparking at the plug before i dissasembles the whole engine to clean and replace gaskets, no cuts in wires used multimeter have strong feeling its got something to do with the sparking at the points, New to all of this just brought this bike in very good condition keen get it going.

Hi There,

you need a strap wrench or piston stop (a threaded bar that screws into the spark plug hole and locks the motor up) to undo the mag nut and then an extractor which screws into the big thread(27mm) on the mag to pull it off (note this is a l/h thread) and has a code of P134 (ebay will prob have one on there). Then the mag will be off. But before you take the mag off it may be worth checking the ignition timming (1.8mm BTDC) and cleaning the points. If the arcing at the points is real bad you will have a condenser out of spec, this can be checked when you have the mag off. But first off checking the timing & clean the points off.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online