YBR 125 Change / Adjusting headlight

Pod.YBR
This post is 3748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

I recently got my first 'proper' bike - YBR 125 2007. Excellent bike, I have to say!

That is.. untill you want to ride at night, at which point it becomes the scariest ride of your life.

The headlight is very poor, and for any visability you have to ride using dipped beam all the time.

Anyway, I've just bought a halogen upgrade bulb, hopefully will make SOME improvement.

I want to know whether I will need to remove all the front fairings ( I have the fully faired model, with the square headlight), or whether there is an easier way to change the bulb.

Also, how would I adjust the angle of the main beam, as currently it seems to shoot hgih up into the air, and basically everywhere other than the road ahead of me...

Any help? Many thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sorry? did you say a fully faired ybr?

have i missed something here :mellow:

quick tip: check the connectors for corrosion as it can increase the resistance and cause a dimmer bulb!

quick tip: check the connectors for corrosion as it can increase the resistance and cause a dimmer bulb!

Cheers, Cov_AL.

I checked, and they seem in pristine condition (is a new bike)

There have been quite a few posts about the dim bulb problem on the YBR, but none have given any soloutions. =[

Im on a YBR125, the round headlight model..

Got a halogen lamp, MILES better than the old sh*tty one!!

Other than that, full beam on all the time, unless its dark, and theres oncoming traffic..

Most of my riding is on lit up, inner city, roads, so the headlamp dimness didnt bother me much..

I reckon you should be able to get a set of universal headlamps, wired up via a relay and switch.. Was contemplating something similar too, I doubt that wed have much issues, so long as we dont get uber-brights, which drain more power than our peewee alternators would generate.

uzi_999

Im on a YBR125, the round headlight model..

Got a halogen lamp, MILES better than the old sh*tty one!!

Other than that, full beam on all the time, unless its dark, and theres oncoming traffic..

Most of my riding is on lit up, inner city, roads, so the headlamp dimness didnt bother me much..

I reckon you should be able to get a set of universal headlamps, wired up via a relay and switch.. Was contemplating something similar too, I doubt that wed have much issues, so long as we dont get uber-brights, which drain more power than our peewee alternators would generate.

uzi_999

Thanks, Could you tell me where you got your halogen lamp, and how much it cost?

Did you get two? - one for main + one for the dipped?

Unfortunatly, where I live, most of the roads are not lit up, and when there mainly curvey back roads, lighting becomes essential....

.Pod.

Am I missing something here?

On my 2009 YBR, my headlight is fine? I had fine visibility on dark country roads the other day.

Mine is a 2007 YBR, there have been quite a lot of complaints about the headlight... so maybe (hopefully) they have improved the bulb for the 2009 model :)

Lucky You!..

• 7 months later...

Mine is a 2007 YBR, there have been quite a lot of complaints about the headlight... so maybe (hopefully) they have improved the bulb for the 2009 model :)

Lucky You!..

No they haven't - I have a 2009 model and the light is appalling! When I got onto a road with no street lights I thought that someone had poked my eyes out!

No they haven't - I have a 2009 model and the light is appalling! When I got onto a road with no street lights I thought that someone had poked my eyes out!

Well it turns out that I am just an idiot. I went to speak to an auto electrician to get a higher wattage bulb and it turns out that I have been using the parking light instead of the main light which I thought was the bright light, but apparently there isn't a bright light - just a parking light run straight from the battery and the main light whose power is generated when the engine is running. Yup - I am a dork.

Well it turns out that I am just an idiot. I went to speak to an auto electrician to get a higher wattage bulb and it turns out that I have been using the parking light instead of the main light which I thought was the bright light, but apparently there isn't a bright light - just a parking light run straight from the battery and the main light whose power is generated when the engine is running. Yup - I am a dork.

The beam light is surely the beam light (IE has a blue indicator near the speedo to notify your beams are on). The light running automatically is the main light, surely? I often signal to other motorists using the beam light button and use it whenever there is no street lights available.

Suggests to me that you need a new bulb.

Mine is the 2008 YBR 125, it has 2 light positions, dipped and full beam, the blue light on your instrument panel comes when full beam is on.

The light itself is on permanantly once the bike is running, in either dipped or full beam state.

If (like mine did) the dipped light in the bulb fails, there will still be a dim secondary light illuminating the road which provides close to zero visibility on dark country roads. It suggests to me that your dipped light has indeed failed and you simply need a new bulb to resolve your problem, that or your headlight is seriously out of line and is pointing up at the sky!

• 3 years later...

Hi there i also have the same ybr 125 (one with bikini fering on headlamp) and it took a bit of time,but i finaly figuered it out...to adjust the main beam u have to take off the fering,once that's done,u will see a little knob on the back of the light,by turning this u are actualy adjusting the whole reflector behind the bulb witch then adjusts the angle of the main beam,As to replacing the bulb the whole headlamp fitting has to come off of the fering,and then just unclip the font part of the fitting to get to the bulbs. I hope this has helped,and best of luck to u. :-)

• 1 year later...

The lights on the YBR's are notoriously poor. A few people on here upgraded their bulbs and some even bought HID kits. Do a forum search to find the thread(s).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online