1978 XS500 Setting Points -HELP!-

sleepyk
This post is 5534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody!

I'm convinced I'm going to have my XS500 up and running this summer. I've enlisted the help of a BMW fanatic/engineer to come help me set the points tomorrow. The only problem is that the only documentation I have is a supplimentary service manual I downloaded via Bittorrent. Does anyone know of any documentation online that would help us tomorrow? Are there any other Yamaha bikes that have similar settings that I can use the manual for?

THANK YOU!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everybody!

I'm convinced I'm going to have my XS500 up and running this summer. I've enlisted the help of a BMW fanatic/engineer to come help me set the points tomorrow. The only problem is that the only documentation I have is a supplimentary service manual I downloaded via Bittorrent. Does anyone know of any documentation online that would help us tomorrow? Are there any other Yamaha bikes that have similar settings that I can use the manual for?

THANK YOU!

HI there,

to set up the ignition .. obtain a dwell meter & strobe .... set the dwell angle to 22 & half % and ensure that the timing is set to LF for the left cyl and RF for the right be sure to adjust the timming of the cylinder on the base plate first then move on to set the one's on the sub plate. as you have a mechanic in tow I'm sure he/she will understand this process, if not I can go a bit more in depth

Regards Jim

HI there,

to set up the ignition .. obtain a dwell meter & strobe .... set the dwell angle to 22 & half % and ensure that the timing is set to LF for the left cyl and RF for the right be sure to adjust the timming of the cylinder on the base plate first then move on to set the one's on the sub plate. as you have a mechanic in tow I'm sure he/she will understand this process, if not I can go a bit more in depth

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim! Do you know what the points gaps should be set to?

Thanks Jim! Do you know what the points gaps should be set to?

You don't gap the points if you have access to a dwell meter but if you don't gap the l/h set on LT on the compression stroke(L/H cylinder) to 12 thou, set the timing then move to r/h set ... the only difference is to use the RT mark and the r/h cylinder.

Regards Jim

You don't gap the points if you have access to a dwell meter but if you don't gap the l/h set on LT on the compression stroke(L/H cylinder) to 12 thou, set the timing then move to r/h set ... the only difference is to use the RT mark and the r/h cylinder.

Regards Jim

Good info. My friend is going to give me his dwell meter the next time he comes up. Thanks again.

Good info. My friend is going to give me his dwell meter the next time he comes up. Thanks again.

That's Ok,

but you will find the bike runs OK with gapped points. But will run so much better when the dwell is set correctly (dependent on engine and point wear) you may end up with a checked gap of say 20 thou but the bike running much better, remember to also check the tappits before you do the ignition stuff (pain in the arse I know with the 34 million (seems like it) allen screws to undo b4 you can remove the cam cover) and adjust the cam chain. after the ignition stuff balance the carbs and tweak the mixture screws ... ignore the documented settings for the mix screws (in fact a later bike may have 'preset' screws.. turn them all the way, with the engine running, home (turn the idle screw up if required) then back them off until the motor is racing with no backfires or spitting then readjust the idle (this may have to be done a few times in order to get the bike to run real sweet) while adjusting the mix screws just keep an eye on the vaccum guages and adjust accordingly. You may find that the mix screws will not be at the same setting ( 1 may be 1 turn from home the other maybe 3 turns from home) but an hour spent playing will give a good responsive engine

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online