Any tips on looking for a 2nd hand bike?

JohnR6
This post is 7261 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me any good tips to look out for when buying a 2nd hand bike? Can you tell if a bike's been crashed etc? :?

Cheers. 8)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Careful on the sportsbikes John...they do get crashed more.

And you don't want something that's been used as a trackday tool either.

Look out for wired sump plugs or plastics that look newer than the bike.

And go to a reputable dealer too....you may pay more, but you get what you pay for.

Also try and get a bike that's less than 2 years old cos it will still be under Yamaha warranty.

And be suspicious of a bike that looks in considerably better condition than it's mileage....unless you're buying it off me! 8)

John....To me the obvious signs would be if it has scuffs on the plastics, bar's, anything bent, ends off the levers ect.

And the worse case I suppose cracks round the head stock or forks, which could mean a hard front bump.

If it's an alloy frame (or any for that matter) and has dents in it, why!, thats just some thing's that spring to mind, get as much truth off the seller as you can.

And as allways, if your not sure about thing's take someone with you, and if your still not happy with it with whatever they say either (if there more experienced), walk away there will be other's, hth's :wink:

Oh, nearlly forgot, there's allways an HPI check too!

Thanks for the tips guys, I will keep them in mind. 8)

It's just that I was looking through Bike trader on the net and saw some really good bargains which I was a bit suspicious about......hmmmm........anyway, when I get my first bike, I'll probabaly go to a main dealer cos' with me being a noob and if I bought a bike privately, I'll probably be riding some fucked up thing, which I'm not even aware of! :lol:

Cheers mate..........but I have to get my license first! :wink:

Me going for the M/C theory test on Saturday 9:30am. Wish me luck! :D

Wish me luck!  :D

NO...u wont need it :wink: u'll do it John, no worries there mate :twisted:

Don't be frightened to ask lots of questions about what the seller has done to the bike.

Ask them odd questions as well like how long does the chain last and how far can you go on a set of tyres.That way if they have ridden it hard and not looked after it you can tell how often they've had to replace them by looking at the mileage.

Of course the engine has to sound good.

Nowadays I would take someone along as well. After all a couple of pints can save you from a nasty bill.

Let us know how the test goes.