New Rider, Old Bike

MarkD
This post is 5574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just picked up a 1987 Yamaha Virago 535 10 days ago. I unknowingly left the key in P instead of Off for a day and completely killed the battery. Have been compression starting it mostly since then. I bought a trickle charger and it has started once or twice but mostly needs to be compression started.

So, I'm thinking I need a new battery. Best source??? I asked a local bike mechanic and was quoted $120USD. Is that a lot? Is it because he's selling only top quality batteries, or is he just marking it up too much? I'm OK paying more for a better battery that will last longer, but I don't want to pay more just for fun. :)

I would love to get recommendations on the best source of the following:

- Parts like batteries, turn signals, shocks.

- Advice on projects like painting the bike properly. I'd like to paint the colored parts that are currently burgandy, yellow.

- Source for good quality leather bike jacket. I like the classic speed racer look. Not cruiser with tassles, not sport bike with lightning bolts, just black leather with a bright stripe.

- Where do I get a complete owner's manual and a shop manual

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What do you mean by compression started? Bump started?? (push it along and then bump it into gear?)

$120 is A LOT for a battery, in the UK you'd be looking at £12 (less than $20)

As for sourcing stuff - Try eBay...

I've had some bargains on leatherware from http://www.jafrum.com/

What do you mean by compression started? Bump started?? (push it along and then bump it into gear?)

I mean that I give it a push, then pop into second with a little gas to start it up. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look around for a battery. thanks for the heads up on the online place too.

Mark

I would love advice on Painting my bike. All the colored parts that is: Gas Tank, the fake gas tank, front and back fenders.

Also, any leads on where to find manual for 87 Virago 535?

Thanks much!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online