Servicing MT-03

tunnie
This post is 5508 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Just put a deposit down a 06 Plate MT-03, i passed few weeks ago and its my first bike. I was learning on ER5's but failed by test a couple of times on them (foot down) i switched to the MT's they had, instantly loved it. Much better visibility and better riding position for me, more comfy too (i am 6ft4) and the torque the thing chucks out put a big smile on my face, i preferred it to the high revving ER's

Back on topic, i think i will service the bike when i get it. Its got 12 months MOT, but i service my own car and got access to oils and filters so since its my new toy, some tlc is in order!

First question, and one i am rather embarrassed about, where is the sump plug? I saw the the dip stick / filler at the front, but how do you drain the oil? Also what kind of oil does the engine take? I have large supplies of GM 10/40 Semi Synth which i can get at trade prices, hoping this will be ok? Is there an oil filter? If so how much?

Any tips for general service? Things to look out for / clean?

The bike itself looks in great condition, highish miles (20k) but its very clean example, has brand new tyre on the back, 12 month mot, 6 months tax, oxford heat grips, and was mine for £2.2k

Thanks in advance,

Tunnie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First question, and one i am rather embarrassed about, where is the sump plug? I saw the the dip stick / filler at the front, but how do you drain the oil? Also what kind of oil does the engine take? I have large supplies of GM 10/40 Semi Synth which i can get at trade prices, hoping this will be ok? Is there an oil filter? If so how much?

Any tips for general service? Things to look out for / clean?

The motor is the same as the XT, and it's a semi-dry sump setup. On the XT there are two drain plugs, one is on the front of the frame (yep, the oil is in the frame) the other is by the gear selector - you need to drain both!

The filter in on the side of the engine, a cover with three small bolts and a top 'vent' plug. It's a cartridge filter, and when you first start the engine up after putting the oil in, you need to 'prime' thefilter compartment by loosening the vent plug until oil comes out (it takes about a parsec and will put oil on the garage roof!), best to loosen a little bit at a time!!

Not sure about the oil, I use Yamalube as supplied by the dealer (when I have to change the oil myself). Changing the oil in these things is a pain in the backside, you have to warm the thing up for 20 minutes before you can check the levels.

It's an oil change (but no filter!!!) at 6K, then a full service at 12 - personally, I get a new filter when I get fresh oil (it's only a fiver after all).

I'm sure someone with a MT-03 will come along and be more specific than I can be.....

Welcome along anyway.

The motor is the same as the XT, and it's a semi-dry sump setup. On the XT there are two drain plugs, one is on the front of the frame (yep, the oil is in the frame) the other is by the gear selector - you need to drain both!

The filter in on the side of the engine, a cover with three small bolts and a top 'vent' plug. It's a cartridge filter, and when you first start the engine up after putting the oil in, you need to 'prime' thefilter compartment by loosening the vent plug until oil comes out (it takes about a parsec and will put oil on the garage roof!), best to loosen a little bit at a time!!

Not sure about the oil, I use Yamalube as supplied by the dealer (when I have to change the oil myself). Changing the oil in these things is a pain in the backside, you have to warm the thing up for 20 minutes before you can check the levels.

It's an oil change (but no filter!!!) at 6K, then a full service at 12 - personally, I get a new filter when I get fresh oil (it's only a fiver after all).

I'm sure someone with a MT-03 will come along and be more specific than I can be.....

Welcome along anyway.

Thanks for that, i am all for filter changes too, it costs me £1 for a GM oil filter on my 2.2 Omega!

Sounds 'fun' doing an oil change, is there a good maintenance book for them? Do Haynes do bikes?

(sorry all new to this bike stuff! :blink: )

There is a workshop manual on Fleabagbay for £5 on CD. I've one of these for the Tenere and they are really good if you've half an idea what your doing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-MT-03-MT03-MT...A1%7C240%3A1318

Hi Tunnie

Any questions you have about MT's log on to the MT owners club web site,good bunch of guys and gals,including me of course.Glad to see you made the right decision to buy na MT-03,I ahve one in Midnight black.Where abouts are you based? The Mt riders on the forum go from Scotland down to Devon including a few from Canada/Australia.USA

Have a ganda it's a good site,Speak soon

The Dude

Hi Tunnie

Any questions you have about MT's log on to the MT owners club web site,good bunch of guys and gals,including me of course.Glad to see you made the right decision to buy na MT-03,I ahve one in Midnight black.Where abouts are you based? The Mt riders on the forum go from Scotland down to Devon including a few from Canada/Australia.USA

Have a ganda it's a good site,Speak soon

The Dude

Hi!

I did join but could not find any forum posts? :unsure:

Do you mean this site... (http://www.mt-owners-club.org.uk/forum/)

I regiseted but only see "notice for guests" no boards or anything??

I am really interested in a few long rides, :D I am based in Northamptonshire (Brackley) but work in central London.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online