2005 XT125X Fuel Pipe Problem

Benihana
This post is 5655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys!

New member here, just brought my first Yamaha and first bike, a lovely XT125X with barely 3,100 miles on the clock.

I had a quick go on it before buying it and ran fine, and started up several times after, however coming to take it out for the first time for a serious run and while the starter ticks the engine over, it won't start. (Charged battery overnight)

Looking underneath the engine there is a small transparent pipe coming from the fuel tank but seems to end unconnected. I'm pretty sure this is why I'm having problems, but cannot seem to find out where it should go.

Does anyone have any pictures that I could use? Or a guide that would help me re-unite the pipe with its rightful location?

Thanks to all in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I'm not familiar but would hazard a guess thet that pipe you are seeing is either the fuel tank vent pipe or oveflow (for over filling) pipe and therefore not the cause of your problem. are you using the choke properly to start the bike? it is usual to use choke and little or no throttle until the motor is running.

After a bit moore googling, i think you might be right about it being a vent pipe. When the seller showed me the bike he started it with the choke (pulling it all the way towards him) then after a minute or two moved it half way back, and then fully in. The last time I got it to start i gave the throttle a quick twist which seemed to get it going.

Could it be that I've flooded the engine? I was going to take the spark plug out and check that it wasn't wet, should I try starting it with the plug out to see if it sparks?

Appreciate the help!

Just incase anyone reads this, I sorted the problem. Stupidly the fault was my own, I added some petrol that I later found to have water in. Water being heavier than petrol, sunk to the bottom and got in the carb. After draining the petrol tank and drying out the carb the bike is once again running fine.

At least my stupidity forced me to learn more about my bike :D