Advice on a Wr450

Burge
This post is 5676 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a wr450 and would just like as much advice as I can get on them before I buy one. I have a couple of specific questions but in addition to that any information would be welcomed:

How long do the engines last for if properley serviced

How often do you have to service them

Is there a particular model and year to avoid or aim for

Are there any particular things to look at when viewing to buy

Does the overall design change after a certain year

What are the pros and cons of the wr450

Would really appreciate any advice, I am planning on riding on road and green laning.

Many Thanks Burge.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

- Engines last for as long as you maintain them, my DT was on its original bore with 23,000 miles on the clock with only a new set of rings before i decided to put a big bore kit on

- Servicing can be done annually, on the newer engines people may choose to do it every 6 months, this may include changing the oil and filters and a general check

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a wr450 and would just like as much advice as I can get on them before I buy one. I have a couple of specific questions but in addition to that any information would be welcomed:

How long do the engines last for if properley serviced

How often do you have to service them

Is there a particular model and year to avoid or aim for

Are there any particular things to look at when viewing to buy

Does the overall design change after a certain year

What are the pros and cons of the wr450

Would really appreciate any advice, I am planning on riding on road and green laning.

Many Thanks Burge.

1st thing, the WR is a race bred bike, it's made to be light and fast, but Yamaha have it bang on with these single bore engines and it will last forever if looked after right. As for service, it depends what you do with it! normal road stuff and you'll need to stick with the factory advised intervals (6K I think) but if you are looking at Green Lanes then you ae going to spend more time with the spanners out. I run a TTR600E for green lanes and it gets an oil & filter change ever three months, brakes get a strip down at the same time and a full joint & cable lubrication. Once a year it gets a full dealer job, just to ensure it's all perfect.

Road riding, how far are you planning to ride ?? If you equip your WR with knobblies then the road sections are noisy and you'll suffer from perculiar handling at speed, if you put road bias rubber on, then you'll be all over the place on slippy lanes. To get good road handling from knobblies then expect to be putting a new tyre on every 800 - 1000 miles! Fuel range is another consideration, the WR isn't designed as a mile muncher and the megre fuel tank reflects that.

To be honest, if you want a dual sports bike then you'd be better off looking towards a XT600, or XT660 these are better suited to mixing it up. You can pick up a XT for less than you are going to pay for a WR too. The WR is more of a second bike, IMHO

If you want to live on the dirt then the WR is a great bike, but you'll want to see a full dealer service history, as well as hearing all the nice extra maintenance it's had.

That said, when it's time for the TTR to go, it'l be getting replaced with a WR450.........

more specifically:

How long do the engines last for if properley serviced - I've mentioed this

How often do you have to service them - and this

Is there a particular model and year to avoid or aim for - Not really, newer the better!

Are there any particular things to look at when viewing to buy - Maintenance. check the brake calipers for crud, and the swing arm bearings for evidence of some grease. You want something that has been looked after. The fuel pipes are a bugger, so look for splits (it shows the tanks been off - good thing!)

Does the overall design change after a certain year - these bike evolve over the years, and don't really have major changes. There are differences but the condition of the bike is more important

What are the pros and cons of the wr450 - I think I've mentioned some already, but the seat, it's not that comfortable on long runs, a bit like sitting on a chair arm, great off-road though you can chuck it all over the place.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online