IT200 ignition problems please help!

Devin F
This post is 5665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, i am brand new to this site hoping for some help as soon as posible. i have a very well maintained it200 that i have taken great care of and out of no where i have no spark and bike will not run for crap. i can push start the bike just fine and it will run like the plug is fauled i rode it for a few hours the day before and torwards the time i was heading home i noticed it was running a little funny kind of like the plug was just fouled so i brought it home washed it all up and put it away for the night the next morning i was geting ready to go riding i went out bought a new ngk spark plug and it had no spark. now the funny thing is this has happened before but last time i found out it was just a loose ground wire i think, because after i retightened the coil bolts i had great spark and it kicked right over first kick. but now im only getting a very weak spark only if i put the bike in gear and turn the engine over by hand on a stand. i bought a brand new NGK replacment coil i am just waiting on it to arive at the shop, does this sound like it could be more then a coil? i do not know much about electricty or wiring so the only other thing i think it could be is a cdi box or somthing to do with magneto. i removed the magneto cover and there was a water'y gas'y smelling liquid in the cover not alot of it maybe 2-3 ounces i let it all dry out still nothing and i have checked all ground wires and all other to make shure there not shorting out. so if you could give me any advice or ideas to what it could be or if it sounds like its just a bad coil it would be greatly apeciated,Devin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, i am brand new to this site hoping for some help as soon as posible. i have a very well maintained it200 that i have taken great care of and out of no where i have no spark and bike will not run for crap. i can push start the bike just fine and it will run like the plug is fauled i rode it for a few hours the day before and torwards the time i was heading home i noticed it was running a little funny kind of like the plug was just fouled so i brought it home washed it all up and put it away for the night the next morning i was geting ready to go riding i went out bought a new ngk spark plug and it had no spark. now the funny thing is this has happened before but last time i found out it was just a loose ground wire i think, because after i retightened the coil bolts i had great spark and it kicked right over first kick. but now im only getting a very weak spark only if i put the bike in gear and turn the engine over by hand on a stand. i bought a brand new NGK replacment coil i am just waiting on it to arive at the shop, does this sound like it could be more then a coil? i do not know much about electricty or wiring so the only other thing i think it could be is a cdi box or somthing to do with magneto. i removed the magneto cover and there was a water'y gas'y smelling liquid in the cover not alot of it maybe 2-3 ounces i let it all dry out still nothing and i have checked all ground wires and all other to make shure there not shorting out. so if you could give me any advice or ideas to what it could be or if it sounds like its just a bad coil it would be greatly apeciated,Devin

You have bad crank seal allowing fuel to enter the ignition side. That is a lot of fuel in there as well. Probably not going to be good. The stator or the pulsar coil could be bad and then you have the charge coil and the lighting coil that could be damaged from the fuel. What year is you bike, I think I have a complete ignition for a 1986.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online