Theory Test

hate_camel
This post is 5567 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay so this weekend I decided I've had enough of my L plates so booked my theory test for next Weds and will then see what the situation is with the practical test. Gonna do the A2 test on my SR to save a bit of cash. It will work out the best for me as I'm planning on going travelling at the end of the year so don't have spare cash to do Direct Access (or buy a bigger bike for that matter) and the way I see it if 3/4 months of my 2 year restricted period will be used up when I'm travelling outside the UK then that's perfect, and I'll have something more practical than a CBT when I get back.

So, firstly, does anyone have any tips for the theory and hazard perception test? I did the car one about 5 years ago now and had no problems with it, not sure if much has changed though?

Cheers guys, feels good to have something booked even if it is only the theory.

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I done mine a few weeks ago and its a bit of a waste if time, well the hazard perception bit is anyway. But you got to do it i suppose. Buy the DVD for around a tenner that has everything in it, its not the official one but its well better and has more in it. The DSA ones are an utter rip off. And practice over and over again till you feel sick. At the end of it i knew the answer to just about all the m/choice questions just cause i had done them while practicing. Got 49/50 (pass 43) :D.

The HP part of the test is a load of shite but its total easy the is marked out of 75 (pass 44) i got 62 but i was robbed 5 marks for clicking in a rhythmical manner. BULLSHITE!!.

You get 14 one min clips(i think) and each has one main hazard (one clip has 2 to keep you on ur toes) And you get 5 points per clip if you click as soon as the main hazard appears to the naked eye then 4 3 2 1 until its 2 late to do anything about it then you get no points. In the DVD it takes you all through it and shows you replays of the clip and when you clicked.

The only problems you might have with it is seeing the hazard too early and clicking cause you have been on the road for a while so give it a triple whammy of clicks when you see them. Oh and don't click way2much or2rapid of a big white screen comes up with a red X and you get nea points.

After you finish they give you a bit of paper with a breakdown on it and say nothing not ever well done (but i bet they are thinking thanks for the 30 odd quid..... scum.

You dont need to buy a DVD - you can practice online HERE

There are also several other sites that do practice theory tests too.

The key is not to click too much - if you do they will score you zero.

Its a piece of piss tbh, but have a practice and see how you go. ;)

Thanks for the info Kevin that's great. Sounds pretty similar to when I did the car one i.e. still a bit of a rip off! My only worry is with the hazard perception and the way it registers your clicks. I will have to get the DVD and practice to find out how early is too early to click a hazard. Since I've been riding my bike I've learnt to accept that everything is a hazard and anyone who might pull out/jump out on me usually does. I'll just have to remember not to click everytime I see a 4x4!

You dont need to buy a DVD - you can practice online HERE

There are also several other sites that do practice theory tests too.

The key is not to click too much - if you do they will score you zero.

Its a piece of piss tbh, but have a practice and see how you go. ;)

Cheers Goff, just tried the two free clips, scored 5 for both, bloody cyclists!

There are 15 clips BTW - 5 x 15 = 75 ;)

Theory test straightforward really - if you've done the car one you should be ok - there are only about 4 motorbike specific questions and most of those are common sense. The only slightly iffy bit is the HP - and only coz I found the images indistinct and if you have been on the road for a while you are tempted to click too early and then get penalized for clicking too often.

Just watch out for the rocks that turn into sheep!

:D :D :D :D

If you fail the HP, you shouldnt be on a bike, or outside of secure accomodation un-attended, in other words its a sinch !, you cant fail, its a test for dolphins thats been adapted (for a fee to the UK dept oT, from the USA, ok some format and script files have been changed, to suit the end user), but it pays £30 sterling into the revenue system, oh and costs you the aforementioned £30 sterling,,,,'

its an 'attendance fee', dont put any other thought to it,

as for the practical: keep your youthfull 'attitude-dude' switched off and view the 'old' guy (your examiner) as your kool uncle,just ride like a proper jessie for 40 mins, or something. :)

Thanks for the help guys, its this afternoon so I should be able to get a date for my practical soon!

Not worried about the theory. Done a load of practice tests and not failed any yet, just get really angry at the hazard perception when I've seen it and clicked too soon! I also start criticising the driver of the car I'm supposed to imagine being in, his lane discipline is terrible and he tends to tailgate other drivers...but I'll try not to shout at the computer when I'm in the test centre!

Passed!

It was pretty easy, about half the questions I'd already answered on my practice DVD and the hazard perception actually went well. Got the best score out of all the practice goes I'd had so I'm happy about that. Feels good to get it out of the way!

huh, just made me think, 6 months time and i will be in your position and hopefully will be tearing around Berkshire on a Jawa 350, or possibly a CB250

congrats on passing. :lol:

just took my theory and passed what i dont get is if some one is injured on the road im not going to do any first aid on them because im not a firstaider and can be held reliable for any further injuries so i think them asking you all these questions about what you should do is stupid :/ any one else agree ?

When I did my first aid at work course the trainer told us that out on the street you're under no obligation to give first aid to people, but it's up to you isn't it? Personally if I got to an accident first I'd do all I could to help, and that's pretty much just ring 999 and keep them comfortable until the professionals get there.

I like some of the options they give you in the multiple choice though

"The motorcyclist is unconscious and bleeding badly, should you...

A. Give them a warm drink..."

I had a good chuckle at some of them

When I did my first aid at work course the trainer told us that out on the street you're under no obligation to give first aid to people, but it's up to you isn't it? Personally if I got to an accident first I'd do all I could to help, and that's pretty much just ring 999 and keep them comfortable until the professionals get there.

I like some of the options they give you in the multiple choice though

"The motorcyclist is unconscious and bleeding badly, should you...

A. Give them a warm drink..."

I had a good chuckle at some of them

ye i think i would keep them company but i wouldent try and stop the bleeding i would prob's be sick just the feal of it

And some of the questions are funny like asking you what condition does a man with a stick with a red stripe on it have i was like what i realy dont think a blind,def man would be crossing the road as it sead thats what he was doing

just seemd like a rip off to me for £30 :/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online