air front forks

hobbo
This post is 5675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, just rebuilt fz600 front forks but do not understand what puting 6 lb into forks does, manual said this the amount is correct but can i add more as i do not understand the principle off air assisted forks.

thanks Hobbo.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

More air pressure = it's 'less easy' for the air to compress as quickly when the forks are compressed - should 'harden' up the response a little.

In theory, if the forks are assembled properly then 'by default' they should have the standard amount of air in them (at least for 20yr old bikes!) but use a small bicycle pump CAREFULLY when adding air, and ensure that both forks are the same...

Yes, you can add more - but bear in mind that eventually you'll blow the weakest point - usually the seals - and possibly under heavy braking = there should be a range within you can add air, (dunno what it is) so don't exceed it.

More air - harder ride (in theory).

Hi, just rebuilt fz600 front forks but do not understand what puting 6 lb into forks does, manual said this the amount is correct but can i add more as i do not understand the principle off air assisted forks.

thanks Hobbo.

This was Yammy's attempt at an air over hydraulic system. Any bike that I have been involved with that employed that setup seemed to work better without any air pressure. If the bike has big miles on it and has weakened the springs you can machine up aluminium spacers 10-15 mm thick that locate on top of the springs. This is a better option than heavier oil because in my opinion you maintain a better rebound rate. If you are happy with them without air then just leave it how it is. Hope this helps. Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online