THUNDERCAT

SIM0NG
This post is 5662 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all!

im new to this so bare with me.

ive just bought a 96 thundercat 16K on the clocks two weeks ago seems to be a real nice bike and i like it a lot.

before i bought it i went for a test ride and it seemed to run fine, the exhaust was blowing("Y" section on downpipe but this has now been welded) but apart from that seemed fine.

now im panicing thinkin the gearbox is on its way out. it does not jump out of second but it is slightly harder going in to second than other gears. its was making a slight noise and i thought it was the chain as it was quite slack tightend it up then rode it and there is now no slack what so ever, losened it, quick ride, no slack?

is there anything that i need to look out for?

it seems to have a low rev judder around 4-5k of revs when im crusing this is why i was think the box was bust, spoke to a chap at a garage he had a quick ride in the car park as i was worrying bout the box but he said its the carbs which prob need cleaning and balancing,

Thanks for any help or advice which anyone may give.

Si.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check your wheel nuts are tight, your sprocket is securely fastened and check your gearbox output shaft for play (possible bearing failure?)

not sure about the low-rev judder, could quite possibly be that the carbs need a clean and balancing...

im now im panicing thinkin the gearbox is on its way out. it does not jump out of second but it is slightly harder going in to second than other gears. its was making a slight noise and i thought it was the chain as it was quite slack tightend it up then rode it and there is now no slack what so ever, losened it, quick ride, no slack?

is there anything that i need to look out for?

There should be aprox 20-30mm of slack at the mid point of the bottom chain run, could be that your chain has some tight spots on it and is due for renewal, if this is the case also renew both sprokets and make sure you get a new lock washer for the gearbox sproket,,,,,,,,,, also check that your gearbox sproket ain`t come adrift !!

it seems to have a low rev judder around 4-5k of revs when im crusing this is why i was think the box was bust, spoke to a chap at a garage he had a quick ride in the car park as i was worrying bout the box but he said its the carbs which prob need cleaning and balancing,

Yes, the Tcat like the Fazer 600 likes it`s carbs to be spot on, but if the chain and sprokets are shagged then this could also be the cause.

cool cheers, spoke to some guy the other day and he also said it may have a tigh spot. the rear sprocket looks good, the teeth arent hooked over or anything. loosened it again last nite but havent been out yet.

im gonna try get it booked in next friday for a service and that will see what its like then.

thanks for some response

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online