Diferent tyres on rear and front, it make diferece?

Vilinho
This post is 5454 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi , i have a R6 2008 , and is time to change my rear tyre , does anyone know if can be any problem ride with a diferent tyre in the front weel of the rear weel , is because my front tyre are still ok but the rear one is not , is it better buy the same tyre ? or it doesn't make any diference? like ride a dunlop spormax on the front and pirelli diablo in the rear??

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It can make a difference.

Certainly if you have a Cruiser, you need different tyres, else it rides funny.

Don't just go by just what your manual says, tho.

I'm supposed to ride Bridgestone or Dunlop on mine, I think, but Avon do a set designed specifically to do what I want and last thousands of miles (16,000 on the front and still not needed replacing yet!!!).

Thing is, most manufacturers tend to make sets of tyres, designed to work together.

It's mostly only pro racers that need to get very finicky about such matters.

Pick a pair that does what you want (maybe even ask the manufacturers about it) and you should be pretty happy.

Hi , i have a R6 2008 , and is time to change my rear tyre , does anyone know if can be any problem ride with a diferent tyre in the front weel of the rear weel , is because my front tyre are still ok but the rear one is not , is it better buy the same tyre ? or it doesn't make any diference? like ride a dunlop spormax on the front and pirelli diablo in the rear??

thanks

Geday mate, In my opinion it is not a problem running different brand tyres front and rear. In fact if you ride hard enough you may have to run different tyres to achieve the correct feel front and rear. Grip wise my GSXR 1000 feels great with a Michelin Pilot Power 2ct up front and a Conti Sport Attack/compound C on the rear. Whilst on my Blackbird a Standard Pilot Power on the front and a Conti Road Attack in compound B gives it a good combination of all round grip and longevity for touring,commuting and the occasional spirited fang. I have just purchased a new release Conti for the rear of the Blackbird called a Conti Motion. They are touted as gripping pretty much as well as the Road Attack and lasting longer. Hope this helps. HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

I can highly recommend the Pirelli Diablo on the R6. My 05 came from the showroom with Dunlops and they were changed after less than 600 miles. I fitted the Pirellis and they lasted me 8k rear and 15k front. Grip was awesome wet or dry.

• 4 months later...

thanks guy's for the help, i gonna fit a Pirelli diablo in the rear one, and carry on with the dunlop inthe front till it need to be change , thanks for the help

Choose tyre`s with care as not all different tyre brand`s are well suited together!,go to a shop and have a look at how different tyre brands profiles can vary quite a bit but yet still be callled the same size`s,it can make all the difference when you do find a good match tho,i don`t tend to mix brands tho just profiles,but i`m sure it can work.i tend to think of it this way,the rear can be steered around the front,but if the front start`s to go west then that`s when the serrious problems start !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online