82 Seca 400 electrical woes - bike shut down while riding

SecaBoy400
This post is 5652 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 82 XS400-rj Seca

I started out for a ride today, got about 2 miles from home and the bike started sputtering and then just shut down. Pulled off the road an started trying to diagnose the problem. First thing I noticed is that there is no electrical power to anything.

Turn the key on and no headlight, no neutral indicator light, no horn, and bike wont crank.

Any ideas where to start looking ? Or has anyone had this problem before that might know where to start ?

I know from messing with a test light that the battery has power and that the 'Main fuse" has power getting to it. All the other fuses have no power getting to them with the key on or off.

I'm thinking starter solenoid just because there is a red wire with a white strip comming out of the solenoid that goes to the "ignition" fuse and this wire is dead even with the key on

Any ideas would help,,

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The Main fuse is the only place that there IS power. This is the fuse in the fusebox, but is there also something like a fusable link somewhere else on the bike ?

Take the fuse out and do a continuity check on it.

I have an 82 XS400-rj Seca

I started out for a ride today, got about 2 miles from home and the bike started sputtering and then just shut down. Pulled off the road an started trying to diagnose the problem. First thing I noticed is that there is no electrical power to anything.

Turn the key on and no headlight, no neutral indicator light, no horn, and bike wont crank.

QUOTE (steve m @ Mar 17 2009, 03:17 PM) FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=*"

Sounds like the main fuse has blown.

The Main fuse is the only place that there IS power. This is the fuse in the fusebox, but is there also something like a fusable link somewhere else on the bike

Is there power on the other side of the fuse ??

Other wise it looks like you have a broken wire somwhere ?

As drewpy says,, check the handel bar stop switch.

Defective Ign switch ?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there power on the other side of the fuse ??

Other wise it looks like you have a broken wire somwhere ?

As drewpy says,, check the handel bar stop switch.

Defective Ign switch ?

Yes there is power on both sides of the main fuse.

And the handlebar stop switch is on. But I suppost it could be bad or shorted out. I will check that switch and check all other wiring to see if I can find any broken wires or plugs that may have come unplugged.

UPDATE: Bike is Fixed !

Started out this morning to check all the wiring to see if I could find a broken wire or something unplugged.

Pulled the headlight and checked all the connections that are inside the headlight housing. Everything looked good but I unpluged and replugged everything in there. Then just for grins I stuck the key in and turned it on. Still nothing, then while wiggleing the key around it suddenly made contact and everthing was working again. I had dash lights and the bike would crank over,,,, then as just as quick it stopped working again.

This got me thinking that something wasn't right with the ignition switch.

I removed the ignition switch and took it apart.

What I found is that one of the three wires that connects to a contact inside the switch had come undone. There was a big blob of solder on it, but it wasnt' actually connected, it was just lying on the contact.

I pulled out the soldering gun and resoldered the connection and put everything back together. Now everything is working fine, the bike started right up and everything electrical is working fine.

My guess is that that connection was never connected very well and the vibration over the years just made it come apart. But best of all, I found the problem rather quickly, and it was an easy fix and it cost me nothing !

I'm very happy to have it back on the road !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online