SR250 Clutch slips when changing gears up.

Khunangkaro
This post is 5653 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When driving fast (well... not very, but...) the clutch slips when change gears with much throttle. If then give less throttle the clutch picks up.

First thought it was because the cable had much resistance from dirt. But with new smooth sliding cable still the same.

So last week took off the left crankcase cover.

In the manual there are 6 friction plates and 5 not burned clutch plates. I just have 5 and 4, but the thickness all together comes to the same. The clutch plates have friction. Five dry clutch plates can not be turned among each other when pressed between hands. The springs are of the right length (34.5 mm). Did not find a shop yet to check the springs' set weight (20.65 kg /27 mm). They feel strong anyway.

First thought was to put more pressure with a washer 1.5 mm on top of each spring. Does not feel real nice and the washers (15mm x 10 mm x 1.5 mm) that fit around the studd are not steel and might worn quick.

Lucky last weekend to get the very useful final part of the manual. Thank you YamaGod.

After reading found out that the clutch adjustment was done wrong (Thai "mecanics"..... :angry: ).

The push lever far out of line. I guess (hope) this must be the cause of the trouble.

Did not yet take of the left cover to check the state of the push lever assembly <_< . Usually there are unwanted but expected surprises when opening things for the first time :huh: after put together by "profis" with hammer and chissel.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

also check clutch rod as i had a slight slip due to rust just inside the seal (couldn't see it without taking out the rod) and this pulled back the rod slow enough for the clutch to slip slightly.

no probs now as replaced it and the cable

drewps

also check clutch rod as i had a slight slip due to rust just inside the seal (couldn't see it without taking out the rod) and this pulled back the rod slow enough for the clutch to slip slightly.

drewps

Thanks for your support, Yes I want to check the whole thing to-morrow first. The left rod and ball are still in place.

This bike is full of surprises, like a lovely old man/lady having had the bad luck to see to many bad doctors. So sorry.

The registration is from 26 May 1993. So how much older than that, I don't know. Import from Japan usually.

VIN number starts with 4 J 1

• 2 weeks later...

drewps

The pushrod and ball look fine and oily. So I took off the too badly worn thrust plate and all and found a shop to show the whole assembly.

They found me new clutch plates from Japan but could not find new thrust plate. Than they let it weld on and machined cheaper than new, looks like a very well done job. When put all together it sticks solid with minimal pressure. Hope to fix it on the bike to-morrow.

Also have a new spring (made for free) to replace the weak one on the lever.

Guess this will all do well.

(Cannot start yet waiting two weeks now for modified carb replacement)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online