Oil light - ON & OFF while riding

T1A50 London
This post is 5668 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone might know this one.

I was riding to work this morning and all of the sudden I noticed the oil light (next to the speedometer) was ON for about 3 seconds, I continued riding and about 1 minute after it came on again for a few seconds.

I thought it might be the 2 stoke oil that was running low. To be honest it wasn't full but it looked like it had plenty of oil left. Luckily I had a bottle of 2T oil and filled it up. The oil light didn't seem to come on after that.

Is the oil light coming ON and OFF a warning that the 2T oil is low or is it something else?

Another really stupid question. The oil inside the engine, is this oil we add to the 2 stroke container on the side of the seat or is it a different oil we need to add?

Cheers Guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone might know this one.

I was riding to work this morning and all of the sudden I noticed the oil light (next to the speedometer) was ON for about 3 seconds, I continued riding and about 1 minute after it came on again for a few seconds.

I thought it might be the 2 stoke oil that was running low. To be honest it wasn't full but it looked like it had plenty of oil left. Luckily I had a bottle of 2T oil and filled it up. The oil light didn't seem to come on after that.

Is the oil light coming ON and OFF a warning that the 2T oil is low or is it something else?

Another really stupid question. The oil inside the engine, is this oil we add to the 2 stroke container on the side of the seat or is it a different oil we need to add?

Cheers Guys

The oil light is for the two stroke oil you use and not for the gearbox oil. There is a bulb check facility for this warning lamp, if the bulb is ok the lamp will be lit when the bike is in neutral with the ignition switch on.

The oil inside the engine is purely for the gearbox and clutch, there will either be a dip stick on the filler cap or a glass window in the clutch case to chech the level there. There is no warning light for this oil level.

HTH...Paul

If the light ever comes on when not in neutral its time to top up, The oil light came on to warn you to top up, you did that and all is well now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online