Lumpy FZR

vic-fzr600
This post is 5522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

Need opinions please.

Recently got my FZR600 (3HE) back on road.

Ran fine for first few days.

Then, first day I tried to use it for work, it initially ran ok until i stopped for fuel.

Since then, feels like bike is running off a cylinder - very lumpy, really down on power, stalls every time you slack off at a junction.

I've cleaned plugs, checked plug leads. Also replaced rear can cos original had blown out. But problem persists.

When first started, bike idles ok, but shortly into journey it misbehaves again. During a journey, it kinda surges as if trying its best to pull as it should, then back to running like a dog.

Anyone got any ideas / suggestions?

My next step is to pull plugs out again, clean carbs, empty tank to look for dirt etc.

Thanks for reading!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is it the fuel itself?

You may have to do a draindown and use alternative fuel from another garage just to make sure that isn't the cause.

Is the reccommended fuel for that unleaded? Mine is.

Just in case you have put a higher octance fuel in. Or need additive.

Alternatively have you lost compression? I am just going through a rebuild with mine after losing power.

Try fuel to start with.

Is it the fuel itself?

You may have to do a draindown and use alternative fuel from another garage just to make sure that isn't the cause.

Is the reccommended fuel for that unleaded? Mine is.

Just in case you have put a higher octance fuel in. Or need additive.

Alternatively have you lost compression? I am just going through a rebuild with mine after losing power.

Try fuel to start with.

Compression seems ok, cos at some points bike pulls great (like it should).

Think full draindown is next step.

The problem literally started as i pulled away from the pumps, thought that might be too quick to relate to the fuel i'd just filled up with.

This may sound silly, could it be bad earth problem on electrics causing ignition problem?

Compression seems ok, cos at some points bike pulls great (like it should).

Think full draindown is next step.

The problem literally started as i pulled away from the pumps, thought that might be too quick to relate to the fuel i'd just filled up with.

This may sound silly, could it be bad earth problem on electrics causing ignition problem?

Not an expert but the ignitions of today are pretty reliable. Seems to me if it is the ignition it would just not run. If it is running rough and will idle can you pull a plug wire one at a time to see if you can determine which cylinder has the miss?

You said your bike was down. How long? Did gas go bad? Any rust in tank? Any inline filters to check or change? Sediment in carbs?

Usually whatever I think it might be it is usually the oppisite. So check the Ignition :rolleyes:

Nor Cal Ed

Not an expert but the ignitions of today are pretty reliable. Seems to me if it is the ignition it would just not run. If it is running rough and will idle can you pull a plug wire one at a time to see if you can determine which cylinder has the miss?

You said your bike was down. How long? Did gas go bad? Any rust in tank? Any inline filters to check or change? Sediment in carbs?

Usually whatever I think it might be it is usually the oppisite. So check the Ignition :rolleyes:

Nor Cal Ed

I usually have the same, in that what I think it is and try will be the complete opposite to what the real problem is. However if the bike has been sat for a while and this was the first fill up I'd say fuel too. First thing is to check if there's and inline fuel filter, if there is you can rule out crap in the carbs (also check it's not full of crap itslef and starving the carbs), if there's no inline filter you may have flushed some crap out of a corner of the tank when you filled it. As far as ignition goes I don't have a clue, but start with the fuel, it's easier to see if there is a problem B)

Update

Did bit more tinkering last night.

Flow through fuel filter is fine, no blockage there.

Airbox had some creamy goo in it, so cleaned it all out.

Noticed airbox doesnt seat very well, think has been removed at some point not reinstalled correctly & has aged out of shape.

Removed plugs, cleaned them again. They show bike has been running very rich.

Ran out of time, so put her back together but no improvement.

So next stage is to strip carbs & check pilot jet & main jet.

Fingers crossed.....

Update!!

I've spent ages trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Did all obvious stuff, plugs, filter, leads, hoses, etc then stripped carbs down & cleaned all the jets.

No f**king improvement at all.

Was about to wheel it into a corner & burn it when i decided to try a desperation move.

Had recently changed the voltage regulator cos old one was blowing bulbs, but swopped back to my old one - problems solved instantly!!

Weird.

I'm soooo relieved, but now need to look for yet another reg cos original blows headlight bulbs randomly.

That was Saturday. Rode bike over weekend, no probs.

Then came out this morning to go to work on it.

Halfway to work, problems reappeared. At one point, bike fired thru exhaust, lost all power. Got it started again, but tho i was holding throttle full open, bike was still revving at idle.

Picked up again few secs later & lumpily took me on to work.

I'm totally baffled. Started to wonder if its electrical/electronic & problem went away because the system had reset when i swopped the rectifier?? :banghead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated cos i'm ready to wheel it into a shed, lock the door & go by a Suzuki instead.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online